Skip to main content

Give Me Strength and the Will To Live

 Whilst replacing the saggy upstairs floorboard which probably caused the start of the leak that began to seep through the kitchen ceiling, Lord Malarkey’s dodgy knee gave way and he ended up putting his foot through the very same ceiling:

He didn’t come right through, thank goodness, because I happened to be underneath it at the time making leek, potato and rosemary soup. The ‘crack!’ made me jump a bit. Lord Malarkey called down the stairs ‘Have I just come through the ceiling?’ and I said, ‘Yes,’ and ‘Soup’s nearly ready.’ I have to say I felt a bit weary with the whole series of events leading to this size 11 finale and I went a bit quiet for the rest of the day, because it’s how I deal with things - a bit of calm contemplation to gather my thoughts and avoid running screaming up the garden and back.

The following morning, having given myself a stern talking to that at least it was a minor accident and no one got hurt and our home hadn’t been swept away in a flood or blow up in a war, I set too finding a plasterer to come and repair the ceiling. My son-in-law sent me details of the one he and Heather had used in their house last year and within 24 hours the plasterer had got back to me and is coming out on Sunday morning to do the repair. It’s going to cost roughly what I thought it might, but I’m not thinking about it. I’m just grateful we have the funds to pay for these things when they happen. And Lord Malarkey has done a cracking (literally!) job of replacing the wibbly floor boards upstairs. Solid as a rock now! 

Life is all swings and roundabouts. I’ve said this before, that the Universe likes to balance things out. Some you win, some you lose, but in the end all things even out. And then you die so none of it really matters anyway. And to that end, Lord Malarkey and I were in a solicitor’s office this morning re-making our Wills. 

Our Wills were over 10 years old and a lot of water has flowed under some pretty significant bridges during that time. We were due a review. The solicitor we found was very good: she explained everything clearly and presented all options. She made some useful suggestions and was all-round a bit of a hoot. 

One really exciting thing was that we got to make a ‘disaster clause.’ Ultimately, this is to prevent all our worldly goods going to the Government in the highly unlikely event that Lord Malarkey and myself, plus our beneficiaries all die at the same time in some weird and inexplicable freak accident. Should this happen, our estate will be divided between our four chosen charities, one of which is the Hare Preservation Trust.

‘Hair preservation?’ said the solicitor, casting a glance at Andy’s baldness.

I made bunny ear with my hands on top of my head. ‘Hare,’ I said.

‘Aaah,’ said the solicitor. ‘I thought that was a bit odd.’

And we all had a bit of a laugh! 

We’re returning in two weeks’ time to have the Wills witnessed and signed, and hopefully that will be that for at least another ten years by which time the Universe will likely have done a bit more tilting and balancing and things might need reviewing again. Who knows? The world is a strange place full of weird people and unforeseen circumstances. 

All being well, though, Andy won’t fall through any more ceilings causing me to drown in a vat full of soup. Now there’s an interesting plot for a novel…


Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad Andy is not injured and that only his foot came crashing through and that the soup survived. Hope his knee will recover soon. Like I say nothing is so bad it isn’t good for something? There’s gotta be something good coming out that. You had me laughing out loud at the “hair” preservation. That’s an attorney who knows to lighten up the conversation on a usually touchy subject. Kudos to her!
KJ
Denise said…
KJ - Andy’s knee would recover a lot quicker if he did the exercises the physiotherapist gave him to do. (Rolls eyes and sighing…and, no, they aren’t the exercises…that’s just me despairing…)
I am yet to see the silver lining in this accident but I’m sure something will present itself. As for the solicitor - she certainly had a lovely personality and natural way about her. We did laugh!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.