Skip to main content

What They Don’t Tell You Part II…

 …is how quickly a dog’s health can deteriorate. 

On Friday morning, Nell was bright, perky and her usual bouncy ‘I love life!’ self. She accompanied Lord Malarkey and myself on a trip to the enormous Marks and Spencer’s which is just outside Stoke, but because M&S isn’t dog-friendly (can’t think why - what self-respecting shop wouldn’t want muddy footprints on their floors and their lower display goods rearranged by a helpful puppy dog??) she went for a walk with Andy whilst I dashed in and made my purchases. 

When I emerged from the sequin-fest that is currently M&S Christmas, I found Andy and Nell perched on a bench. Andy reported that Nell had slipped whilst climbing onto the bench, on account of its curved front, but otherwise all was well.

We went home. By evening, Nell was holding her front right paw up, and squealed when Andy examined it. Maybe she had sprained it whilst climbing and slipping off the bench? And then she started vomiting and belching. Proper non-stop belching. And then she was sitting hunched up, her tummy tender and sore. 

And by morning, she was lame in three of her four legs, still belching and looking very sorry for herself. 

Immediate thoughts turned to her having ingested a foreign body. But that didn’t explain the lameness. But two health issues can occur concurrently. Unlucky, but possible. Anyway, Andy took her to hospital for investigations because we both felt this had become a ‘don’t wait and see’ issue.

She ended up having x-rays, blood tests, an endoscopy and then an exploratory operation because it looked like there could be something in her stomach that shouldn’t be there, but it was difficult to tell from the scan. 

But no. No blockages, no problems with her stomach, her digestive tract, her heart, her lungs. Dosed up on painkillers and antibiotics, she came home Friday evening looking very fragile, sore and sad. And her rapid decline in health remained a mystery. 

There’s a possibility she might have some kind of inflammatory illness, and further blood tests will be required. But today, she is walking fine, eating, peeing and pooping and currently I can hear her in the dining room grating her teeth against an antler. She is back to rights, but just tired following her day of investigations at the surgery. She needs plenty of rest for a few days. 

Such a worry. Could have done without it, to be honest. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh no!
Get well soon Nell.
🦆
Denise said…
Thanks, Mrs D. My biggest problem now is trying to keep her entertained as we are on light walks for a few days whilst she heals.
Anonymous said…
Poor pup! Sending well wishes to Nell!
KJ
Denise said…
Thanks, KJ! It’s all been a bit weird, but she’s doing well today.

I'm so relieved to hear that Nell is on the mend after her sudden health scare. Wishing her a speedy recovery and sending positive vibes your way!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.