Skip to main content

Easy Peasy! Ahahahahahahaha…ha!

 On Friday morning, I said to His Lordship Malarkey, ‘If I buy a new light fitting for the dining room, would you be able to fit it, please?’

And he said, ‘Yes, of course, no problems,’ which, in hindsight, because Mercury is in retrograde, was probably NOT the best thing to declare in a joyful, blasé, easy peasy kind of way. 

‘I’ve found a suitable light in Argos,’ said I, because I am classy like that when it comes to home furnishings. ‘And they have one in stock at our local branch.’

Hurrah! So far, so good. Mercury still retrograde though. Probably explains, too, why the curtains I ordered for the dining room still haven’t arrived despite the delivery date being yesterday. Ah well…

We tried to order and pay online, so we could just whizz in and collect the order quick sticks, like an efficient Ninja warrior, but both my attempt to do this, and then Andy’s, were rejected as ‘Oops, something went wrong! Please try again or pop into your local store.’ This often happens when trying to order and pay online at Argos. Not always, but more often than perhaps is reasonable. Probably worse when Mercury is retrograde. 

‘Oh, I’ll just go and buy it in store, shall I?’ said Andy. ‘I need to pop into Wilkos and get some descaler for the coffee machine anyway.’ (Wilkos is right next door to Argos, so VERY convenient.)

‘Can you pop into WHSmiths and pick up a copy of ‘Spirit and Destiny’ magazine?’ said I. ‘Ta!’ (WHSmiths is a 30 second walk from Argos, so moderately convenient, but not as convenient as Wilkos. Also, it is a teeny tiny branch with limited choice and I wasn’t sure if it would stock something as avant garde as ‘Spirit and Destiny’ but if you don’t ask, you don’t get, right?)

(I am considering subscribing to this magazine. All my other magazines I can access free online through my library membership, and I can read this one for free, too, but something is nudging me to splash out on a paper copy membership.)

Andy duly returned with ALL the shopping (including the magazine - hurrah!) and he immediately set about removing the old light fitting - having the foresight to take photos of the wiring configuration first - and then attaching the new fitting. ‘It’ll be easy peasy,’ we said. ‘Just swapping one thing for another thing,’ we said. ‘What could go wrong?’ we said. 

Mercury still in retrograde.

To a qualified electrician used to fiddling farting around with tiddly bits of wiring up close and personal to a ceiling whilst standing precariously on a dining room table, the job would probably have taken, oooh, twenty minutes, tops? Over one very long hour later, there was a not inconsiderable amount of sweat and swearing peppering the air in the dining room of Damson Cottage. My arms were burning having to hold up the light at the correct angle so Andy could use both hands to wrangle the wiring. Much reference was being made to photos and wiring diagrams. Tiny things were being dropped, even tinier things were popping in and popping out again, and all in all it was a wee bit on the stressy side.

And then we swapped over jobs because despite Andy’s years and years of being a surgeon who can mend very small things like guinea pig ankles and shih-tzu kneecaps, and whip out tiny uteri and miniature testicles, it turned out my embroidery skills and smaller fingers were better suited to the task. Also, I didn’t swear.

‘Do you swear when you are operating?’ I said to Andy after one particularly fruity utterance.

‘No…’ said Andy, although the high rising intonation of the response suggests otherwise.

Anyway, after one false start when we thought we had succeeded and it turned out NONE of the downstairs lights worked, and we had to unscrew everything and try again (Mercury retrograde), we DID succeed and although it was a bit of a marathon, the dining room now has a new light fitting and I no longer have to look at the old one every day and think how much I loathe it. I know, I know, it’s taken over six years to change it but we’ve had other shizzle to do to the house, too, you know. 

Retrograde Mercury ends today. Which means my dining room curtains will probably turn up tomorrow. 

P.S It’s National Name Your Car Day. My car is already called Mollie so I don’t have to name her again. I’m appalled there are cars out there which apparently don’t have names. 






Comments

Anonymous said…
I’m the electrician in our family, not my favorite thing to do. One of these days I’m going to be organized enough that I go into each room of the house we move into and make a list of things that needs doing. Even if it takes years to get done it will be alright. Naming a car!? Is that a commonwealth thing? Our friends from New Zealand also name their cars. Ours are called Silver and Black.
KJ
Anonymous said…
What I meant was in regard to you having to tolerate a lights you were not smitten by for a long time.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, I’m glad it’s not just me who gives their car a name! Black and Silver sound very practical names. The old light fitting in the dining room was okay in shape and form but it was clearly very old and was looking very shabby and past it. And it hummed, too. Which can’t be a good thing. The new one does not hum!
Anonymous said…
Humming is intolerable! As it clearly appeared I was really tired yesterday and didn’t make a whole lot of sense! I can’t even blame autocorrect. I even managed to make a simple direction into a maze for a poor driver yesterday. I hope you can forgive me.
KJ
Denise said…
Nothing to forgive, dear friend!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.