Skip to main content

Always Judge A Book By Its Cover

 Went to the library yesterday to stock up on novels. I haven’t been to the library in AGES, what with one thing and another. When we moved here, it took a while for me to steel myself to join the library, and I shall tell you why. It was because I couldn’t get over the notion that the books in the library may possibly have been read in people’s bathrooms on people’s toilets, and if there is one thing that the covid pandemic has taught me, it’s that other people’s hand washing habits leave much to be desired. ‘Wash my hands after using a toilet? Really? Is that a thing??’

Eurgh. And ‘yes, it bloody well IS a thing, did your parents teach you NOTHING as a child?’ And what’s with the need to take a book to the toilet in the first place? Surely it’s an ‘in, do the business, wash hands, out in a couple of minutes’ process, not an ‘in, read twenty pages of a novel, get piles, I might wash my hands, I might not, and out’ thing? Honestly, some people….

Anyway, I overcame my ‘people reading library books whilst on the toilet’ distaste by promising myself that I would neither lick library book covers nor lick my hands during or after reading a library book. And that I would wash my hands post-library book reading session. Does that sound a bit OCD? Well, I don’t care. It opened the door to me being able to read loads of novels without having to 1) buy them and 2) think about what to do with them once read as I rarely read a novel twice over. Too many books, too little time. 

At our library, you can take out up to 10 books at a time. They are on loan for three weeks. I can get through two novels a week, so I took out 6. (See what a Maths O level does for you?) Here they are…

I began the Mel Giedroyc one last night (nothing worthy of my time on TV) and am already annoyed by the fact I consider myself to be a better writer than her and she only got published because she is already famous. Oh, cruel and fickle publishing world of 21st century…sigh…

However, I shall finish the book because it’s a breezy read, despite its (so far) formulaic form and style, and its predictable plot. I am open to being proved wrong by the time I reach the end. It’s a hefty tome, so has space to improve. (Gosh, I woke up in über-critical mode this morning…)

I took my book selection to the counter to have them stamped. The Librarian Lady behind the counter, whilst stamping away, commented on one of my selection - ‘Piranesi’ by Susannah Clarke. (Susannah Clarke wrote ‘Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell’ which I enjoyed very much. It’s a novel four times the size of ‘Piranesi’ - big enough to take down a burglar, if a novel is your weapon of choice when investigating strange noises in the middle of the night.)

Back to the librarian comment. She said, ‘I keep meaning to read that. I find the cover very appealing.’

‘Oh, I’m very drawn to a cover,’ said I. ‘In fact, often I won’t give a novel a second look if I don’t like the cover. It’s very judgemental of me, isn’t it?’

‘I’m the same,’ said the Librarian Lady. ‘Just won’t pick it up.’

‘Me neither,’ said I. ‘The cover has got to draw me in.’

Lord Malarkey appeared at this point with three books. He placed them on the counter. 

‘That one, for example,’ said the Library Lady, pointing at one of Andy’s choices.

‘Ooooh, no,’ I agreed. ‘I wouldn’t give that a second look.’

‘It’s been highly recommended on the radio,’ said Andy.

‘Don’t care,’ said I. ‘It has a terrible cover.’

‘It really is,’ said the Librarian Lady. 

We are joined at the counter by Librarian Lady Two.

‘We were just saying,’ said Librarian Lady One, ‘that the cover of that book,’ and she again points a finger at the offending article in Andy’s pile, ‘would put us off reading it.’

‘Oh yes!’ agreed Librarian  Lady Two. ‘Me too!’

I felt a little glow inside. I thought, ‘Here is my tribe!’ I wondered about asking them if they were bothered about the toilet reading habits of their library members but decided this might somewhat taint the relationship, given it had got off to such a positive start. 

‘It’s a very short novel,’ said Andy, in what I thought to be a most spurious way to defend a hideous cover. 

Librarian Ladies One and Two, and I, all shrugged. Gosh, I thought. Think of the things my tribe could achieve with such solidarity and determination. 

I came home thinking how nice it would be to have a librarian job in a small town library. 






Comments

Anonymous said…
That’s it. I’m going to have read “Piranesi“. I want to say that Andy wrote a review of it? Covers sometimes put me off but like Andy I’ll pick it up if it got good review. Now I’m put off going to the library… peoples hand washing is appalling even now where we definitely should know better. Florence Nightingale will be rotating in her grave! And no, no literature belongs in the loo. Not even library wall paper.
KJ
Denise said…
Andy has already read Piranesi, KJ, and you are correct in thinking he had reviewed it. Of course, the copy I’ve got might very well be the one he read in our loo!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.