Skip to main content

Stp Abbrev. Wrds.

It all began, I think, when Australians abbreviated ‘barbecue’ to ‘barbie.’ I remember hearing it in the embryonic days of  the Antipodean lunchtime soap opera ‘Neighbours’ so must have been 30 years ago or so. I remember thinking, ‘I had a Barbie as a child,’ because a Barbie was the equivalent to the Sindy doll. Mine had hair you could extend by giving her pony tail a sharp yank. It was high tech for a doll in the ‘70s. Anyway, Australians were all for ‘chuckin’ another prawn on the barbie,’ and from thence it all went downhill.

What are these?


Correct! They are roast potatoes. If you said ‘roasties’ you can leave now and never darken the door of Damson Cottage EVER again because, quite frankly, if you can’t be bothered to use the correct names to identify items, then I can’t be bothered to entertain your hideous abbreviations. They are not funny, trendy, or clever. Just get a grip, will you? You’re not an illiterate toddler. 

There was a minor celebrity type person on the radio the other day. I cannot remember her name although I did recognise her from children’s television back in the day. She’s publishing a children’s novel - heaven knows how she managed to seal THAT deal - and when asked the date of release by the radio interviewer, she said, ‘4th of Jan.’

Jan? Jan??? To which ‘Jan’ are we referring here? Jan Leeming? Jan Morris? I pondered awhile...actually, I didn’t. I yelled something at the radio similar to, ‘What’s wrong with January? Are you so lazy or trendy or down wiv da kids wot you’ve writ your novel for that you can’t say January??’ There might have been some language of the colour pale blue, too, I can’t remember, I was so caught up in the moment of outrage. 

Jan?? Pah! 

Why then? Why do people feel the urge to abbreviate perfectly good words? I still have trouble using the word ‘telly.’ I’m fine with the shortening of two words into a contraction e.g ‘shall not = shan’t, do not = don’t, could not = couldn’t because it’s a teacher thing, flashing around technical terms like ‘contractions.’ But taking a proper word in its correct form and trying to make it sound trendy by shortening it? No. Just stop it. 

One of the people I work with announced he was going to call me ‘Dee.’ I said, ‘No you’re not, thank you. My name is Denise. No one has EVER called me Dee.’ He has never tried to call me Dee since. My ex-in-laws  tried to call me Den. That didn’t last long either. It’s not like my name is long. Two syllables. Six letters. If I was called something like Aramintasia or Beelzebubbletonic I could understand the urge to try an abbreviation. But seriously - Denise? 

It took me years to get used to hearing my son being called Chris instead of Christopher. I think if ever anyone shortens my daughter’s name, Heather, to Hev, I might develop selective hearing. Oddly, my parents - Diana and Victor - were always Di and Vic. I guess a lot of it depends on what you are used to hearing. 

So, as we enter the festive season of Christmas - not Xmas, or Chrissie - let us make an effort to have roast potatoes, not roasties, please. 

Thank you kindly. I hope you are all keeping well?


Comments

aileen g said…
I always wished people could shorten my name, as it seemed like a nice thing - a term of endearment - but nothing really works for Aileen. I did try, when I was a teenager, to encourage people to call me Lee, but that didn't stick. My ex-husband's brother started calling me 'A' but I knew if I got annoyed with him it would only make him do it all the more, so I just totally ignored him and he soon got tired of it. As for others, I usually ask what they prefer to be called and go with that. I don't mind abbreviations either, and we have some family ones that I occasionally say in conversation with others and then wonder why they don't know what I'm talking about. I just think it's part of the way language evolves, and is often a way of either being inclusive (joining in, being part of the gang) or alternatively - exclusive (to those who don't know the abbreviations). A bit like jargon at work - I hated it when I first started work in finance, as I had no idea what others were talking about, but it wasn't long before I had slipped into it as it was really a form of spoken shorthand. I tried to explain to new people what it all meant though. The funny thing is that I can be quite pedantic about language in certain situations, and do enjoy a well-crafted piece of writing. Now text-speak (LOL, BTW etc.) and emojis are a complete mystery to me. Well, I do know some of them now, but I never use them as I am sure I would get them wrong and offend or amuse people.
It's a nice sunny day here and looking on my calendar I see I have an appointment with the cats' litter tray, so I had better get on with that.
Denise said…
My family know I’ve always been a language pedant which is why I was probably a top notch English teacher, though I do say so myself. Sometimes I like to think that Shakespeare or Chaucer are doing a spot of grave rolling at how the English language has evolved since their days, and what we consider now to be perfectly acceptable. I suppose we all live in our own language era and are reluctant to move with the times - I know I am! Why change something that has served me well all these years? I find ‘roasties’ particularly annoying!!
Sunny here, too - and oh, the joys of the cat litter tray...
Anonymous said…
Those appries snuck in with the mobile texts thingies, ya kno'? Dont not have time for long texts, u w/me?
C U
KJ
Denise said…
Now just you hush, KJ! I had a mini pink fit today when someone insisted on calling Yorkshire puddings ‘Yorkies.’ Which also happens to be an abbreviations of ‘Yorkshire terrier.’ Can you imagine how that could all go horribly wrong if the two were confused because of a lazy abbreviation? I rest my case...
Anonymous said…
Now that’s taking it too far! Using “yorkies” about Yorkshire pudding?!
They are circulating in the abyss of ignorance.
KJ
Denise said…
‘Circulating in the abyss of ignorance....’ Now I like that phrase enormously. I shall make sure to use it regularly in the future!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.