Skip to main content

New House!

On Christmas Day, His Lordship Malarkey presented me with the title deeds of Malarkey House. See, here they are...

They have been witnessed and signed by important public figures like Jane Austen, Mr W Shakespeare, Monty Don, Jennifer Saunders and Her Maj the Queen, so I have no doubt of the legality of the aforesaid Deeds. 

And here is Malarkey House...




As you can see, a Georgian pile, four storeys and an impressive frontage. Mr Darcey will be along ANY moment now. 

Having spent a couple of sleepless nights wondering where the heck to locate such a substantial property I arose this morning to supervise the moving around of Damson Cottage furniture in order to accommodate the new, er, accommodation. And then I set about emptying boxes and boxes of furniture and other exciting household items, and arranging them as best I could given I had no such practise of these things as a child. A new learning opportunity, if you will. After two hours, maybe three, this was the initial outcome. Because, as with all house moves, you just end up being happy to get all the boxes unpacked and items put in approximately the correct rooms, and the promise of a soup and toast lunch on the horizon. 

There is more stuff still in boxes. Stuff like Christmas decorations, Halloween and Easter decorations, an extra bathroom suite, and a whole household of little people which are way too freaky for me to deal with at this moment in time. Malarkey House, it seems, has everything covered - seasons, celebrations and role playing opportunities. Let me take you on a tour. Please remember most of the room layouts were created with an edge of panic...

The kitchen...

Yes, all the drawers and cupboards open. Yes, the lids come off the saucepans. Yes, there are secret bottles of vin rouge in the vegetable rack. Yes, those pumpkins are pathetically tiny.

The vestibule...

Yes, all right. The globe is in the vestibule.  I told you there were moments of panic. Note the parasols and shrimping net. 

The pantry...or servants’ dining quarters....possibly....

Lots of food in this room.I feel it has a sunny aspect. Wellies by the back door. Table laid for a jolly supper. No chairs, though. But then I doubt servants had much of a chance to sit down. Not with all those stairs to negotiate. Thus ends the basement. 

The sitting room...

I’m already feeling the bird in the cage is unethical. But I’m glad of the knitting and sewing materials. Tea and cake on the table, aspidistra in the corner, and a red telephone EXACTLY like the one back in 1970s Maidstone. What more could a lady of genteel refinement want? 

The music room...


The little cases hold a cello and an electric guitar, neither of which I can play, but hey! Never say never. Ditto the trombone and French horn. I CAN play the flute though. There’s a violin and bow atop the grand piano, and an artist’s easel behind that. So, strictly speaking, a music and art salon. 

The bedroom....

Another telephone. For room service, I expect. I especially like the rug. It is lush. The Ming vases are priceless but I shan’t sell them because they’ve been in the family for generations.

The bathroom...

It’s a room of magnificent proportions for a bathroom, but I thought an excellent place to exercise, too. I may install a shower at some point. And a sauna. Plenty of fluffy towels, though - sign of a good bathroom, I think, plenty of fluffy towels. I’m concerned about the lack of loo roll holder though. 

The nursery...

This is the nursery of a very spoilt child, if you ask me. Look at all those toys! And I bet that Noah’s Ark cost a BOMB! Also, what would I want with a nursery? All my eggs have long since left the building. It was at this point in the Grand Unpacking of this morning that I began to formulate in my mind exactly how Malarkey House will take its future shape as befitting a lady of my quality and requirements. A nursery was NOT on the list...

The Nanny’s quarters...

A Nanny, for heaven’s sake! Really? That attic room is screaming out to be something spiritual and creative. But I might keep the rocking chair. And the natty straw hat. And the little wash bowl and ewer.

The gardens....

The property comes with a gazebo for the garden and some elegant garden furniture. It also comes with a variety of geese, ducks, dogs, guinea pigs, tortoises, rabbits and two of the crossest and most maniacal cats I’ve ever seen which I dare not show for fear of instilling the heebie jeebies within you. That would never do. 

So, there we go. And here is the irony. My astrological prediction for December said I would be receiving the gift of a property! There was I wondering if I had any ancient and wealthy relatives I didn’t know about it who had a spare mansion to bequeath and I’ve just laughed out loud at the realisation of what that prediction meant in reality! 

Welcome to Malarkey House! 



Comments

Athene said…
Wow, what a wonderful present - and there can be no doubt about the legitimacy of your title, with a conveyance witnessed by such illustrious persons. As I recall, half the fun of such a house is the constant rearranging of the contents, after all it would be rather dull just to sit and look at it.

What fun, and given your interest in embroidery and other needlecrafts I’m sure you will find some things you can make for it. Andy is good at presents, isn’t he.
Anonymous said…
Didn’t you once almost broke a foot moving furnitures around? The occurrence of an injury is pretty slim with this property I would think? Don’t push it though!
KJ
aileen g said…
What a fabulous present! I can see you spending a lot of time arranging and re-arranging the furniture to your liking - enjoy!
Denise said…
I’m glad that you endorse the validity of the title deeds, Olly, given your fine legal brain. I feel satisfied now that I’m unlikely to be repossessed!

To be fair, KJ, it wasn’t me moving furniture that caused the mangled foot - it was Andy dropping a bookcase on it. However, I did once become trapped beneath a small sofa I was moving downstairs on my own, so point taken!

Thanks, Aileen! I’ve already been perusing wallpapers and floor coverings. Some redecoration is in order first, before I tackle furniture and furnishings.
Anonymous said…
I only recently discovered that there is a whole world of doll houses out there from Arne and Carlos. To think I could get a whole house to decorate the way I wanted it. Now there is something to ponder.
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.