Skip to main content

Wolf Moon Eclipse


Three for the price of one this evening! A wolf, a moon AND an eclipse! Apparently, the first full moon in January is called a Wolf  Moon because it was when wolves were howling at their loudest during Anglo-Saxon times when it is thought the full moons were being given names, because why not? We don’t have many wolves in England now, well, certainly not around Damson Cottage. We’ve got a cockerel called Tootsie who sounds like a trumpet. Perhaps, in hundreds of years from now, the first full moon of the year will be called a Tootsie Trumpet Moon. I’ll start the campaign now, shall I?

Not only is it a full moon tonight (around 7.20 p.m U.K time), it is also an eclipse. The moon will drift into the Earth’s shadow. That shadow will appear across the moon. Eclipse! I shall go out and try to get a photo but generally when I think along those lines, like popping out to see the meteor showers last week, clouds will suddenly appear and scupper my plans. And I shan’t see anything beyond clouds. The Law of Sod at its finest. But I shall try, oh yes I shall.

I feel I need to celebrate the full moon, too, so this afternoon I shall sit for a nice spot of peaceful, mindful meditation. About 2 p.m. Have a listen to the Universe, see what it has to say about this and that. One never knows what thoughts will come one’s way during these moments of quietness, but I bet the Universe will have something to say about the irony of MacDonalds referring to its fast-food outlets as ‘restaurants.’

There is a bit of hoo-ha going on in the nearest market town at the moment because MacD’s have applied for planning permission to pop a ‘restaurant’ on a piece of land that sits on one of the town’s approach roads. Objections are that it would not be in keeping with the town’s historic charter, dating back to the 1200s; that it would not set the right tone to encourage visitors. What? And the mahoosive Muller yogurt factory sitting on the same approach road doesn’t spoil the historical vibe already? Hmmmm....

Personally, I would object on the grounds that their food is awful and the surrounding hedges, fields and grass verges will become littered with junk food wrappers and detritus. But that is because I am a food snob and product of the ‘Keep Britain Tidy’ campaign of the 1970s. I suppose it will bring employment to the town. As always with these matters, there are double edged swords to juggle. (Public Health Warning - please do not juggle with swords. Unless you are a professional sword juggler in which case you are probably covered by appropriate insurance.)

Perhaps you’d like to join in the meditation, too? I’m going to send out some positive thoughts for  the terrible situation in Australia for starters. Then see where the vibe takes me.

Happy weekend wishes to you all!





Comments

Vera said…
Glad you did a post about the Wolf Moon. I think it deserved a mention in blog land!
Denise said…
Me too. I also discovered that every full moon has its own name!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.