Skip to main content

The Gnome of Gritty Determination

 

A few days ago, Nell and I saw these cows on the far side of the canal. It’s a vertiginous bank, and how they got down there, let alone how they get back up is quite beyond me. Can cows channel their inner goat when they need to? Who knows? It’s a wonder of the Universe. Anyway, Nell barked at the cows, I did not because I was taught that shouting in a public space was the habit of a common fish-wife, and the cows regarded us with mild interest and much serenity and probably thought, ‘Stupid dog.’ 

Yesterday, the sun was out, the skies were blue, the wind was non-existent and as all gardeners know at this time of year, it was the best of days to get outside and do a pre-Winter tidy up. What I REALLY wanted to do was stay inside, read, knit and watch The Repair Shop on catch-up TV BUT the Gnome of Gritty Determination was immediately in my ear (not literally - that would be very uncomfortable. I can’t even cope with ear plugs let alone a whole gnome) telling me to ‘Go out NOW and CRACK ON, you lazy whatsit!’ And so I did. 

Well, I did after I had executed an early morning run on the supermarket in order to buy ingredients for Sunday Lunch, as Heather and Oli are coming round and I fancied to do a jolly nice spread. Chicken and ham pie for the meat eaters, creamy mushroom pie for the vegetarians, with a cauliflower cheese, mashed potatoes, roast parsnips and carrots, peas, broccoli, onion gravy and an apple and blackberry crumble for pudding! Mmmmm…mmmm…

Back to gardening. I hoiked out all the old runner bean plants and started to clear the courtyard of leaves, but then I was distracted by the hornbeam hedge which needed pruning around the sides and about three feet of growth taking off the top. I like to keep the hornbeam hedge at around the 8-9 feet high mark but it had gone especially berserk this year. Out with the shears and secateurs, then. Started with the sides. Nell had been running about doing this and that, but I then noticed she was obvious by her absence . Always suspicious of Nell and Quietness I stopped shearing the sides of the hornbeam and went to look for her. Found her digging a massive hole under the wildlife woodpile in the far corner of the garden. She was filthy and had also murdered a wood mouse. I was not best pleased. 

Took Nell inside (time for a cuppa, anyway), made tea, bathed Nell, drank tea, returned to hornbeam hedge, having confined Nell behind gate in lower half of garden. She was not best pleased about this, but I said, ‘That’s what you get for digging holes and being a mouse murderer.’ 

Pruning the top of the hedge is always a thrilling adventure, and will likely become more so as I progress in years. I got out the telescopic loppers to deal with the really thick bits, and the sun only scuppered me on a quarter of the length of the hedge by attempting to dazzle me into giving up and going indoors to knit, read, etc etc. However, there were some bits that necessitated my climbing  a small ladder in order to reach them. I tried not to wobble too much because I didn’t want to fall off and break anything, least of all me, and after a couple of hours the hedge was neat and tidy and shorter and my shoulders only ached a bit. 

Came indoors for lunch. The call of the knitting was great. The nagging of the Gnome of Gritty Determination was greater. Went back outside, found Nell eating a dead great tit. 🤢 This morning she had trouble expelling the digested diet of dead bird so I had to ‘assist’ using mucho kitchen roll, and then she required a bottom wash. Into the bath she went. She was not best pleased. I said, ‘That’s what happens when you clog up your digestive tract with dead bird.’ 

Back to yesterday. Got out the lawnmower. The grass is being annoyingly persistent and needed another cut. I find our new lawn mower particularly cumbersome to wrangle around the sloped bits of the garden but I carried on because I am made of Strong Stuff. And that bloody gnome was in my ear again. Managed about a third of the lawn and then Andy appeared and said would I like him to take over? Andy currently has a very disgruntled knee which is on strong painkillers and is attending an x-ray next Saturday in order to see exactly what the chuff is going on. I said as long as his knee could cope, and he said yes (presumably high on paracetamol and codeine), so he completed the lawn mow and I turned my attention back to the courtyard from whence I began what felt like hours and hours ago. Because it was. 

Swept up all the leaves, did some weeding, tidied up the geraniums which will need to go into the greenhouse soon, pruned back the roses that looked like they were done for the year. Removed a dead mouse from the spout of the watering can. 🤢 A few of the roses are bravely putting on more flowers, which is nice. And by 4.30 p.m I’d had enough, my arms, shoulders and legs had had enough and I told the Gnome exactly where he could shove his Gritty Determination. Came inside, washed my hair, got changed, did some knitting. 

Today, I am amazed I feel normal. Well, as about normal as I ever feel. No aches or pains. Feeling smug at how good the garden looks. Took Nell for canal walk. No cows pulling stunts on vertiginous banks. 

Off to cook lunch now. I’ll put on the radio for company. I might sing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Sun Puddles

A few weeks ago, I met up with a dear friend for a meditation and healing afternoon, both of us being light workers on the spirit pathway. It did me good to re-engage in a bit of focused energy channelling (because I have let my practice slip somewhat) and during the afternoon the words ‘sun puddles’ popped into my head.  Now, I know this wasn’t my human brain thinking these words because I have never heard the phrase before; when I arrived home, I looked it up and said to myself, ‘Aaah, you mean sun spots!’ This is a sun puddle... ...there! That thing that Flora is lying on. No, not the sofa - the warm patch of sunshine on the sofa. Here are Flora and Bambino sharing a sun puddle... This proves that no matter how much they scrap with each other and try to denude each other of fur all over my rugs, they secretly share a mutual and fond admiration. I think. And here is Bambino on a sun puddle that has come to rest on my legs... It’s his casual, ‘I’m so cool’ pose. Metaphorically cool, o