Skip to main content

Worry Be Gone!

For the last few months I’ve been living with the thought that my body might have developed a cancer. Today, I found out that it hasn’t. The relief is indescribable. The troublesome bump has been removed and I am here, in my lovely writing room, with no more than a small spot plaster and instructions on after-care for the wound to show for all the dark thoughts that have been sitting in the back of my mind, chuntering away in spite of my best efforts to ignore them. 

The sun is shining. From where I am sitting, I can see the grass being mowed in the field. Opening the window, I can smell that fresh cut grass, one of the best air fresheners ever. My desk clock is ticking with confidence, I can feel the red jasper, golden tiger’s eye and green aventurine crystals I took to the hospital with me this morning still in the pocket of my jeans. The local anaesthetic has worn off and I can sense a tiny bit of twinging which is not worth the bother of a paracetamol. There are new books on my desk, vying to be read. I’ve just noticed that the flowers in the little vase on my altar need refreshing. I feel a bit of a fraud for fretting over something which turned out to be nothing, but my loved ones have assured me I need not, because unless these things are investigated by professionals, you can never be sure what they are. 

The thing is, in my heart I knew this was nothing to worry about. My intuition, my spirit companions, have all been saying, ‘This is fine. Please don’t worry. All will be well.’ But when you receive a letter containing the words ‘cancer’ and ‘urgent’ and ‘priority’ you can’t help but start to doubt your own self because professionals know best, right? And you shouldn’t. I’ve been working with my Self for long enough now to know that I should trust it first and foremost. And I feel a bit ashamed that I let that trust waiver oh so slightly. 

And I’ve been thinking about the reason why this ‘thing’ was sent my way because I believe that everything that happens does so for a reason. On the way home from hospital, I began to realise why I’ve been through this ‘thing.’ 

Without it, I would not have jumped in and signed up to do the Diploma in Spiritual Counselling and Caregiving. Without it, I would not have read the books I have read about dying, soul midwifery, palliative care, hospice work, healing, and lining up the practical learning that goes with the reading. Without it, I wouldn’t have taken up some weird opportunities that have come my way, like going on a one day course to learn how to record and archive oral history stories. 

What this ‘thing’ has done is to galvanise me into action and focus me on life. I’ve spent two years drifting and faffing, and feeling like this was it, there was nothing else of value for me to do in life, and yet now…well, now I have the gift of renewed purpose and it’s a wholly energising feeling. 

Counting my blessings. Feeling thankful for my wonderful support network, especially Andy, Heather, Oli, Jean and Auntie Pollie. And marvelling at the way the Universe makes sure you get just the right kick up the backside you need, just when you need it. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
I’m so relieved!! So incredibly happy this is nothing but a method to sharpen your focus on life values which is not a small thing at all. I would like to contest your believe that you were “faffing or drifting”. It was a necessary point in your life to focus on you and that is not bad at all. Also, there is zero need to feel like a fraud. The feelings are real and should be taken as such.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ - thank you, my friend. You are, as ever, very wise and thoughtful. I am glad I’ve made time to reflect on the changes of the past two years and because of that, I now have clarity on where I go now. I feel better in my mind than I have in a long time, which is a relief to me, too. And I shall have a tiny scar to remind of what has, in fact, turned out to be a very positive experience.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Sun Puddles

A few weeks ago, I met up with a dear friend for a meditation and healing afternoon, both of us being light workers on the spirit pathway. It did me good to re-engage in a bit of focused energy channelling (because I have let my practice slip somewhat) and during the afternoon the words ‘sun puddles’ popped into my head.  Now, I know this wasn’t my human brain thinking these words because I have never heard the phrase before; when I arrived home, I looked it up and said to myself, ‘Aaah, you mean sun spots!’ This is a sun puddle... ...there! That thing that Flora is lying on. No, not the sofa - the warm patch of sunshine on the sofa. Here are Flora and Bambino sharing a sun puddle... This proves that no matter how much they scrap with each other and try to denude each other of fur all over my rugs, they secretly share a mutual and fond admiration. I think. And here is Bambino on a sun puddle that has come to rest on my legs... It’s his casual, ‘I’m so cool’ pose. Metaphorically cool, o