Skip to main content

Plum Jobs

This morning, I took some food waste up to the compost bin and when I removed the lid, the most MAHOOSIVE hornet flew out at me. Hand on heart, it was the size of a cricket bat. I know European hornets (which is what it was) aren’t aggressive like wasps but goodness it made me jump. I think it was in there because I’ve been tipping the too squishy windfall plums in there to stop Nell the Poo hoovering them up and getting an upset tummy. I think that hornet was tipsy on fermented plum juice. 

Fortunately, most of this year’s plums have been harvested. Not as many as last year BUT my goodness they are enormous. I believe there is a joke in there somewhere about 'massive plums' but I'm too much of a lady to repeat such smut. However, I've heard two very good and inoffensive jokes this week. 

Joke Number One: 

Q. Why is there a lion in my wardrobe? 

A. Narnia business!

And joke Number Two:

A man walks into the kitchen to find his flat-mate eating egg and soldiers. 'I didn't know you had dandruff,' he says.

I think you might have to be British to understand joke Number Two but I suppose it depends on how widespread the Head and Shoulders shampoo adverts are. 

Anyway, 35lbs of plums are now in the freezer which is enough for a crumble pudding a week until next May. I shan't make any jam this year as we are still wading through the stupid amount I made last year and I can't be doing with jam overload in the cupboards, not with Winter coming up and bringing with it my usual urge to stockpile flour, beans and toilet rolls. The few remaining plums will be picked for general eating in the next couple of weeks or so. The Autumn raspberries are just coming in and will give us a nice supply for about a month. 

The swallows have left for their Summer holidays, sensible creatures. They went on the last day of August, but I left the laundry open for the last week just in case they came back - you know, they might have forgotten something like sunglasses or flip flops. But they have gone and already I am looking forward to their return next Spring. Nine babies this year. Very satisfying. We are going to try and remove their second nest from the top of the carpet roll and attach it via some ingenious shelf arrangement to the back wall of the laundry. The carpet roll remnant and accumulated bird poo will go to the tip. 

I had a phone call from the hospital yesterday. Would I be able to come in next Monday morning for my biopsy? Yes I absolutely would! So glad to have an appointment at last. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Sun Puddles

A few weeks ago, I met up with a dear friend for a meditation and healing afternoon, both of us being light workers on the spirit pathway. It did me good to re-engage in a bit of focused energy channelling (because I have let my practice slip somewhat) and during the afternoon the words ‘sun puddles’ popped into my head.  Now, I know this wasn’t my human brain thinking these words because I have never heard the phrase before; when I arrived home, I looked it up and said to myself, ‘Aaah, you mean sun spots!’ This is a sun puddle... ...there! That thing that Flora is lying on. No, not the sofa - the warm patch of sunshine on the sofa. Here are Flora and Bambino sharing a sun puddle... This proves that no matter how much they scrap with each other and try to denude each other of fur all over my rugs, they secretly share a mutual and fond admiration. I think. And here is Bambino on a sun puddle that has come to rest on my legs... It’s his casual, ‘I’m so cool’ pose. Metaphorically cool, o