Skip to main content

Consider the Stars

 As Virginia Woolf said, ‘When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don’t seem to matter very much, do they?’ 

That’s what I’ve been doing. Considering the stars. And getting over myself and my petty worries. Still waiting for a biopsy appointment (good ole NHS - whip you into a frenzy then leave you dangling) but in the Grand Scheme of Life, the Universe and Everything In It I have decided there is nothing to waste time fretting about, so I shan’t. Que sera, sera and all that. Also, a good chat with my Auntie Pollie has helped enormously. We share a wavelength, she and I. 

Today is Lord Malarkey and my 20th wedding anniversary. Twenty years! Flippin’ heck! So much change in those two decades - so much growth and lots of gains, way too many losses amongst those who celebrated our marriage with us, ups and downs, ins and outs, one great big Hokey Cokey dance of life - that’s what it’s all about. Hey? 

Apparently, the 20th anniversary is marked with china but as we have enough crockery/ vases/ bowls in the house and Lord Malarkey is a Taurus and therefore prone to breakages, we have decided instead to buy ourselves a sundial for the garden to mark the occasion. (I don’t know why I said ‘garden’ because sundials are notoriously inaccurate in an indoor situation. Must have been a writing rhythm thing.) We are out for dinner this evening with friends, so that will be nice. I shall also demand to be taken out for a lunch consisting solely of cake as our oven is still out of action (awaiting the delivery of a circuit board) and I’m not putting the Aga ovens on in this warm weather. How long the small oven will take to be repaired now is also debatable as we have entered another Mercury retrograde which will likely interfere with all things communication and technical until it rights itself on 29th of this month. Sigh…

The carpet baby swallows have fledged - five in all which brings our swallow baby total this year to nine. They keep flying into the kitchen which causes Nell much excitement and me much angst, especially as they often become stuck behind the radio and I have to fish them out as calmly as possible with a frantic, leaping dog barking encouragement from the sidelines.  Andy reckons they are scoping out the kitchen as a possible nesting site for next year. I say they can jolly well think again. 

The frantic, leaping barking dog, Nell, also has moments of calm. Here she is, after a day of full on canal-walking activity followed by hyper-vigilance regarding the Damson Cottage squirrels. She just climbed into my lap, flopped her head on my shoulder and was spark out in seconds:


My arm didn’t go dead at all. Well, maybe just a bit. 

And here is Bambino after a game of ArtStraw Mania. What I do is pile the straws into a neat stack and then he RUSHES in, DIVES on them and spends a berserk ten minutes scattering them all over my office. I attempt to gather them up again, and he PLOMPS on them like some sort of enraged hen retreating to her nest after a particularly strenuous bout of worm wrestling. And then we start all over again…


He’s looking a bit defiant, I think. But he isn’t a defiant cat. Just a bit of a numpty. 

I’ve just been contemplating my crystals and wondering which will accompany me for the day. Yellow jasper is calling. Protection for spiritual work and any travel, and assists feelings of physical well-being. It also releases toxins, stimulates the solar plexus and heals digestion. 

That’ll be for the cake, then. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Sun Puddles

A few weeks ago, I met up with a dear friend for a meditation and healing afternoon, both of us being light workers on the spirit pathway. It did me good to re-engage in a bit of focused energy channelling (because I have let my practice slip somewhat) and during the afternoon the words ‘sun puddles’ popped into my head.  Now, I know this wasn’t my human brain thinking these words because I have never heard the phrase before; when I arrived home, I looked it up and said to myself, ‘Aaah, you mean sun spots!’ This is a sun puddle... ...there! That thing that Flora is lying on. No, not the sofa - the warm patch of sunshine on the sofa. Here are Flora and Bambino sharing a sun puddle... This proves that no matter how much they scrap with each other and try to denude each other of fur all over my rugs, they secretly share a mutual and fond admiration. I think. And here is Bambino on a sun puddle that has come to rest on my legs... It’s his casual, ‘I’m so cool’ pose. Metaphorically cool, o