Skip to main content

Endoscopy

 Our septic tank, Vladimir Pootin, underwent an endoscopy this morning, on account of Lord Malarkey and I having to run him through on an increasingly regular basis with the drain rods because he keeps backing up with, well, you know...effluent. Something was clearly amiss and needed investigation. Therefore, a jolly chap arrived at ten a.m in a little tanker lorry thing. 

‘Hello!’ said I.

‘You’re from Kent, aren’t you?’ said the jolly chap. 

And then he chatted away non-stop whilst going about his business with various pipes, cameras, rods, blowers, suckers and pointy things. By the time he’d given Vladimir’s pipes a very good and through seeing to, I had learnt that the jolly septic tank chap owned three collie dogs - all adopted - had left school at 15 with no qualifications, had travelled extensively around the UK and hence was very good at identifying regional accents, and that he kept shire horses which he took to various shows and fairs to raise money for charity. 

The camera investigation showed that a section of the end of the pipe that goes into the septic tank itself had broken away and become lodged across a part of the opening. And there were other things caught up with it. Like a couple of drain rod attachments. And an actual drain rod. The jolly chap tried valiantly to dislodge the collection of drain rod accessories but because the pipe travels horizontally and then dips off at a 45 degree angle in a short distance as it meets the septic tank, the drain rod was going to be stuck forever.

Of course, the broken pipe would need replacing because it would only cause more and more problems. ‘I’ll bring my mini-digger next week,’ said the jolly chap, once he’d established that, yes please, I’d like him to do the repair job, ‘and replace two metres of the pipe that leads into the septic tank chamber. In fact, I’ll replace three metres, because the pipe comes in three metre lengths and it will save me having to cut a metre off.’ 

Sounds sensible. And then he said, ‘Would you contact the farmer and let him know I’ll be working on his land, please?’

I said, ‘To be honest, you could probably do the job and he wouldn’t notice. I sometimes walk the dog in this field and haven’t been shot at yet.’

‘Even so,’ said jolly chap, ‘just to be on the safe side. I’ve met some shi**y farmers in my time.’

We have a clause in the deeds to our house that allows us access to the field to maintain the septic tank but as a matter of courtesy I duly headed off to the farm up the road to let them know what would be happening. I tried phoning but it seems their landline is dead. It’s only a two minutes drive away. 

On arrival, the farm was a hive of activity. It’s one of those massive modern dairy farms where all the cows live indoors for ease of milking. It also means they have a lot of slurry to deal with and there was a lot of slurry tank activity going on. I managed to stop someone and ask if any of the farming family were around. An appropriate person was pointed out to me and I risked life and limb crossing a section of the farmyard to reach him. But yes, he was fine with my request, and thank you for letting him know.

Back home I popped next door to update Don and Gill on the situation. They were happy with my pro-active stance as they were getting fed up with having to wield drain rods, too. I spent a happy couple of hours with them, chatting about all sorts and drinking tea. They will share the cost of the repairs. 

Next week, I also have my hospital appointment. TWO…yes, TWO identical appointment letters arrived in the post on Monday to tell me so. 

Here is Nell, on a tree stump, resting during a long walk…



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Sun Puddles

A few weeks ago, I met up with a dear friend for a meditation and healing afternoon, both of us being light workers on the spirit pathway. It did me good to re-engage in a bit of focused energy channelling (because I have let my practice slip somewhat) and during the afternoon the words ‘sun puddles’ popped into my head.  Now, I know this wasn’t my human brain thinking these words because I have never heard the phrase before; when I arrived home, I looked it up and said to myself, ‘Aaah, you mean sun spots!’ This is a sun puddle... ...there! That thing that Flora is lying on. No, not the sofa - the warm patch of sunshine on the sofa. Here are Flora and Bambino sharing a sun puddle... This proves that no matter how much they scrap with each other and try to denude each other of fur all over my rugs, they secretly share a mutual and fond admiration. I think. And here is Bambino on a sun puddle that has come to rest on my legs... It’s his casual, ‘I’m so cool’ pose. Metaphorically cool, o