Skip to main content

Tidy Up and Start Again

 The UK General Election is only three weeks away and I am still undecided upon whom to bestow my vote. This is usual for me because I have determined Tory blood running through my veins. The only time I haven’t voted Tory in the last 40 years was when John Major ousted Margaret Thatcher as leader of the Conservative Party, and there was something nasty about him I didn’t like, so I voted Green. We got Tony Blair (which still makes me feel nauseous) but as I’ve said before, no point fretting about the past. The problem is, for me, the Conservative Party is not what it used to be. In fact, it feels as if all the major parties have melded into one common governance and not a sliver of tissue paper can be inserted between them. I know there are those who will disagree, but that is my feeling about current UK politics. 

I have thought about not bothering to vote, but feel that would be disrespectful to the work and memories of the Women’s Suffrage Movement. It feels even more important to stand up for my female sex given certain quarters of society want to erode the progress women have made in society, and that includes Labour leader (and likely incoming Prime Minister) Keir Starmer who is on record as stating some women are in possession of a penis. Statements like that bother me. I’m not going to spout on about ‘rights’ and ‘diversity.’ But I am a woman - I have two X chromosomes, and that can never be changed no matter what. Wouldn’t it be great if every human could just get alone with every other human? Because we are all human? And flying pigs existed? 

Anyway, I’ve been reading about the six potential MPs for my area. Our present incumbent is a woman Liberal Democrat. And by all accounts she’s doing a sterling job in the three years she’s been in office. Very proactive, always out and about doing stuff, in touch with her constituents. Seems like a jolly decent, hard-working sort. BUT she represents a party who, amongst other things, wants to legalise cannabis and has a leader in Ed Davey who, again, has trouble defining the fact of ‘woman’ and has inferred that Tories are (please excuse me) ‘c**ts’. Also, their manifesto uses the words ‘Fair deal’ a lot. Define ‘fair deal.’ What’s fair to one person might not be to another. It’s all too wishy washy.

Should I vote for the person representing my area or the party they represent? Am I over-thinking? I’ve got three weeks to decide. I hope I don’t become stuck in the polling booth sighing deeply, being overcome with apathy, and then adding Bambino’s name to the list of candidates and putting a cross next to that. 

I sorted out my office this morning! It had become one of those spaces that made me think, ‘How can anyone work in THAT mess?’ I shifted a bit of furniture, organised my craft cupboard so more things would fit inside that, and gave my meditation altar a good polish with proper beeswax which it appreciated enormously. It’s reaching crystal saturation point now. I’ve recently added to my collection with an iolite and a serpentine. 


I am feeling remarkably balanced and cheerful at the moment despite the impending change of government. I think the reiki is working. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Sun Puddles

A few weeks ago, I met up with a dear friend for a meditation and healing afternoon, both of us being light workers on the spirit pathway. It did me good to re-engage in a bit of focused energy channelling (because I have let my practice slip somewhat) and during the afternoon the words ‘sun puddles’ popped into my head.  Now, I know this wasn’t my human brain thinking these words because I have never heard the phrase before; when I arrived home, I looked it up and said to myself, ‘Aaah, you mean sun spots!’ This is a sun puddle... ...there! That thing that Flora is lying on. No, not the sofa - the warm patch of sunshine on the sofa. Here are Flora and Bambino sharing a sun puddle... This proves that no matter how much they scrap with each other and try to denude each other of fur all over my rugs, they secretly share a mutual and fond admiration. I think. And here is Bambino on a sun puddle that has come to rest on my legs... It’s his casual, ‘I’m so cool’ pose. Metaphorically cool, o