Skip to main content

Soft and Scented Honey Unicorn’s Bottom!

 I enjoyed a pleasant hour or two mooching around a Makers’ Market yesterday. The one I went to is pretty good as far as this type of artisan malarkey goes although probably half the stalls are foodie ones - bread, pies, pastries, cakes etc - and I don’t buy from them because a) I bake and cook these things perfectly well myself and b) I bake and cook them for probably less than half the price. I watched someone pay £20 for a bog standard sponge-type cake yesterday and thought, ‘Sheesh - £20? Really??’ Ah well - takes all sorts, as the saying goes. Fools and their money etc etc.

I did make one foodie purchase though and that was because the stall holder was putting all his energies into a marvellous sale pitch and I thought it needed rewarding with a sale. The product was a ‘soft granola’ - the only one available in the WHOLE country, apparently. The chap was holding out little sample test pots and shouting, ‘It’s no good just looking at it! You’ve got to try it to taste how good it is! How will you KNOW without TRYING it??’

Fair point, thought I, so I presented myself at his stall and duly accepted a proffered pot. It was very good granola, sort of a deconstructed flapjack still soft from the oven.

‘Why soft granola?’ said I. ‘Why not crunchy?’

‘My dad has sensitive teeth,’ said the stall holder. ‘I developed it for him. He loves it!’

I bet he doesn’t have much choice, thought I. But what a thoughtful son?! The stall holder enthused some more about his product and his sales techniques. ‘I don’t mind making an idiot of myself,’ he said. ‘But you need to tell people about your product, don’t you?’

I agreed that yes, you certainly do, and that I was put off some stalls by the owners who sat behind them, hunched on a chair, scrolling through their phones and being wholly disengaged from their potential buyers.

‘Exactly!’ said our man. ‘You’ve got to put on a PERFORMANCE!! This stuff sells out everywhere we go!!!!!’ (I don’t think I can add enough exclamation marks to convey his enthusiasm and energy.)

The lady that was with him (I don’t know if she was his partner but she had the look of a patient and long-suffering wife about her) leaned forward and said, ‘He is very passionate about his granola,’ which is a sentence you don’t hear very often. Anyway, I bought a packet:


…and was very pleased to see its ingredients were few - no UPF nasties here - and that I could probably make it myself at home. For half the price. 

Next, I had a lovely chat with a young man who was selling candles. There were quite a few candle stalls, but this was the best. It looked understated but classy and the chap was engaging and we had an amiable chat about different scents. I bought this:


…and left it standing on the kitchen counter overnight. This morning, the kitchen smells like a Mediterranean lemon harvest which is better than the rest of the downstairs which smells faintly of ‘Eau de Damp Chien Nell.’ I’ve visited the website and shall buy more candles from this chap because they have lovely scents and are eco-friendly. The Rhubarb and Rose one was especially good, too. 

Next, I had a chat with a bee-keeper who, it turned out, lives in our local town. We chatted about bees, and swarming and the fact that bees don’t read bee keeping books and will do what they jolly well like. I tested the samples on offer and two jars were purchased for £10. 


I was filled with self-loathing when I realised that the last jar of honey I purchased from a supermarket (a stupid error) was manufactured in effing China of all places! Probably not even honey at all - just some sort of granulated sugar shite that was nothing to do with bees at all. I was so cross with myself and vowed to buy local, English honey from there on. Definitely need to get back into beekeeping myself. 

And finally, I left the Makers’Market area and went into the shopping village area to visit Moshulu, which is the only place I buy shoes now because they’re very good for people with broad feet like me. I was in need of some lightweight slippers that were still warm enough for my poor, frozen toeses, but not so warm that they over-cook my feet now the weather is slowly warming up. (My sheepskin Winter slippers are a tad too warm now, but it’s still a tad too cold to go bare foot on the kitchen floor tiles.)

Here, then, is my frivolous ‘Welcome to Springtime’ purchase…


They are even more vibrant pink in real-life and are soooooo soft and fluffy, like a unicorn’s bottom! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fabulous slippers!
KJ
Denise said…
Aren’t they just?!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.