Skip to main content

Ridiculous

 All this hoo-ha about the photograph released by the Princess of Wales as a celebration for Mothers’ Day yesterday - have you see it? Seriously, I cannot believe that the BBC has made such a song and dance about something so trivial - shame on them. As a broadcasting and so-called news corporation, they grow more ridiculous with each passing month. Their reporting that social media has gone frantic with speculation (speculation about what?? I’m not on social media, so am unaware of the feeding frenzy) merely highlights that some people are becoming ever more nasty and petty. I despair ever more of the human race. I am researching how to build an underground hobbit house so I can hide away from it all. I shall NOT be requiring a TV licence.

But in a show of solidarity with our Princess, whom I happen to think is a pretty amazing woman, here is a photo I took this morning of Bambino hiding out in his cat tower like some sort of evil Bond villain plotting a take-over of global tuna production:


You can just about see his eyes glinting in the dark but only because I edited the original photo by using a ‘brightening’ function on my iPad! Yes, me too! Who doesn’t edit photos these days? Some mobile phones are advertised specifically for their editing abilities, for chuff’s sake. And don’t even get me started on AI.

Anyway, enough of this stupidity. I had a lovely Mothers’ Day yesterday. My daughter took me out for the day - brunch at a nice village pub, then an outing to a beautiful manorial garden, and hot chocolate and cake in the tea rooms. We had a good old natter about all sorts of stuff and generally put the world to rights. 

I’m going to do a meditation session now. I need to remind myself that the Universe is generally a good place, despite increasing evidence to the contrary. 

Comments

aileen g said…
I must admit my first reaction was - WTF? Even when all the "discrepancies" were pointed out I couldn't see them and wondered who on earth has a job which involves microscopically inspecting every photo for some slight oddity. "Really", thought I, "is this really news?" - but then I thought that perhaps it does matter - not necessarily in this instance - but it did lead me to think that this furore does add fuel to conspiracy theories about picture/data manipulation. One of my close relatives believed that covid was planned by the "global cabal" (and/or Bill Gates) to kill of half the world's population and subjugate the rest (via the supposed microchips in the vaccination). She posted an enormous number of videos to her friends and family and although some of them were laughable in their content with obvious over-dubbing of politician's and scientist's speeches, some did actually look very authentic. So whilst I think it is crazy to wonder why a part of Prince George's jumper was blurred (or whatever) and make it the first thing on the evening news, I can see there are times when things need to be investigated. Judging by a lot of my friend's reactions I think there may be a huge market for underground hobbit houses (but with stairlifts and walk in showers as we're all getting on a bit) so maybe a new career idea for you?
Denise said…
Hello Aileen! Yes, I can see that investigations do need to happen in order to avoid misrepresentations or the misleading of the public, especially with the advancing of artificial intelligence and, well, just the way the internet is used as a tool for misinformation. I think what irritated me most was the way the BBC seemed to make such a big deal about this innocuous photograph which was published as something light and cheerful for Mothers’ Day. I can only assume it was a slow news day yesterday. Maybe I’m being too naive? Anyway, I definitely think hobbit houses are the way to go. There’s something very appealing about nestling away in a cosy underground hillock. I’ve drawn a plan…!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.