Skip to main content

One Size Fits All

 Two home delivery parcels today. Firstly, a 10kg sack of dog food for Nell which will last her a good 10 weeks. Secondly, a part for Andy’s car which, hopefully, will sort out the recalcitrant driver’s side electric window which sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t.

On the right of the photo is the car part. On the left of the photo is the box it arrived in. I mean, for goodness sake! What is WRONG with people? All that excess packaging for something that could have been sent in a padded envelope. Sheesh. The small box was even protected in the big box by a load of scrunched up paper. And there was me thinking we were trying to save the planet with a drive towards economy. I duly removed all the sticky tape and put the offending box in the recycling bin. I try to do my bit, although sometimes it feels like spitting in the wind.

I am currently immersed in my New Favourite Thing which is studying herbal medicine. I’ve joined The Herbal Society and my welcome pack arrived today, including a copy of ‘Herbs’ magazine, which I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this evening. I’ve also been doing an introduction to herbal medicine online course. Today was all about the respiratory system and talk of mucus and phlegm made me feel quite nauseous at times, but I soldiered on and passed the online test with 100%! It’s all fascinating stuff, and I’m jolly glad I’ve got a qualification in Anatomy and Physiology because trying to remember all the body stuff along with the herbal stuff would properly make my head spin. As it is, I am at least familiar with half of the content. 

Of course, all this research and study has made me very keen to launch myself into this year’s gardening plans but I can’t because it is STILL raining on and off and the ground just isn’t having time to dry out sufficiently before the next shower arrives. Boggy swamps spring to mind. It’s very frustrating but at least I can get into the greenhouse and start some seeds. 

It’s my Mum’s 84th birthday next Monday, and a couple of days ago I sent her a parcel of birthday ‘stuff.’ Unlike the car part company, I made sure the box I used was crammed to the hilt with goodies. No wasteful empty spaces for me, oh no siree. I FaceTimed Mum to let her know that a parcel would appear at some point, couldn’t say when exactly on account of the vagaries of the Royal Mail, but she FaceTimed back just after lunch to say it had safely arrived. ‘I suppose you want me to wait until Monday before I open it?’ she said, a somewhat wistful tone in her voice. 

‘Mum,’ I said, ‘you are allowed to open your birthday present whenever you want to. Just don’t expect anything else to arrive on Monday.’

‘Can I open it now?’ she said. I thought, good grief, it’s like talking to a six year old. 

‘Of course,’ said I. ‘I don’t care when you open it. It’s yours to do with as you like.’

‘I’ll open it this afternoon,’ she said, looking a bit gleeful and excited. 

I’d do the same. If I ever reach 84 years of age I’d want to open presents as soon as they arrive, too. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
I use to work in a nursing home when I was a student. Of all things you get exposed to and get use to I could not get use to mucus and phlegm. Nope, can’t deal with that.
KJ
Denise said…
Just revolting, KJ. As an ex-teacher, the number of times I had to avert my gaze when a bubble-nosed, crusty child was in my class doesn’t, literally, bear thinking about. 🤢

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.