Skip to main content

One of Those Faces

 Saturday lunch time, I met a friend for a spot of lunch at the local garden centre. It was a bit of a late lunch on account of the plasterer ‘phoning first thing and saying he could come out NOW rather than Sunday morning, if that was at all convenient. I said it was, he arrived NOW and the kitchen ceiling was repaired neatly and efficiently within a couple of hours. It’s dried out nicely. I’ll paint it over this week and the only clue that a ‘foot through the ceiling’ incident happened will be the £220 hole in the bank account. Ah well…

Anyway, Nell and I waved cheerio to the plasterer and set off to meet our friend. The garden centre café works on a ‘choose from the menu, then take your table number and order from the counter’ system, where you can collect tea, coffee and cake immediately, and anything else ordered - sandwiches, jacket potatoes, soup etc - will be delivered to your table. My friend took charge of Nell whilst I went to order food. 

The queue at the counter was long. Well, it was a Saturday, and it was dull and rainy, and what else do people do on a dull, rainy Saturday than go to a garden centre for tea and cake?Anyway, I don’t mind standing in a queue. It was moving and the serving girls behind the counter were doing a sterling job of taking orders and payments and keeping the whole process of a busy lunchtime service running smoothly. And, as the poem (almost) goes, ‘What is this life, if full of care, we have no time to admire eclairs?’ 

Whilst standing in the queue and minding my own business, like you do, a gentleman approached and said to me, ‘Can you tell me what it says on that cake label, please?’ And he pointed at the glass dome directly in front of where I was standing. ‘It says they are three-cheese scones,’ said I. ‘Made on the premises with organic flour.’ 

‘Cheese scones?’ said the man.

‘Not just one cheese,’ said I. ‘Three cheeses : cheddar, Parmesan and Stilton, no less.’

‘Goodness,’ said the man. ‘Are the cakes here nice?’

I confirmed they were. The man said, ‘Thank you. It was nice to meet you.’ And off he went. Clearly not interested in three cheese scones after all.

A minute or so later, the chap in the queue in front of me turned and said, ‘Excuse me, but do you know where I can get butter to go with my scone? I can’t see any on the counter anywhere.’ 

‘When you reach the till and pay, they’ll give you some,’ said I.

‘At the till?’ said the man.

‘At the till,’ I confirmed. 

‘And cutlery?’ said the man.

‘Over there, by the menus,’ said I, pointing to where the cutlery was stacked in a basket next to the menus.

The queue moved forward. The woman behind me was making loud noises about there had better be some oat milk on offer for her tea. I really wanted to say, ‘Eurgh, really? Oat milk in tea? It’s vile.’ But I didn’t because that would have been rude. Also, she might not have any taste buds, in which case my interjection would also have been irrelevant.

I was almost at the front of the queue when another man approached and said, ‘Excuse me, can I just reach though and get a couple of straws. I’m not pushing in.’

I said, ‘I’d beat you back with my tray if you were pushing in!’ All jolly and cheerful-like.

The man laughed. ‘Steady on!’ he said. He took his straws and retreated away from the woman in the queue with an empty tray/weapon.

The man in front of me in the queue (him wanting the butter) turned and said, ‘What did you say to that chap?’

I repeated my light-hearted tray battering threat and butter man laughed. 

And finally I got to the front of the queue myself, placed my order and returned to my friend and Nell.

My friend said, ‘You were very popular in the queue.’

I said, ‘I think I’ve just got one of those faces that makes people want to talk.’

Which is ironic, given I’d rather they didn’t. Sigh.

Here is a recent photo of Nell. She has just been offended by something my Mum said to her over FaceTime. Something about perhaps her owner should get someone to clip her fur properly rather than insisting on doing it herself…(double sigh…eye roll…)



Comments

aileen g said…
I am an introvert - INTJ on the Myers-Briggs scale despite taking it 3 times and trying to cheat - but I also seem to attract my share of people wanting to talk to me. Since I had to give up driving I now use public transport and have spent quite a few journeys "trapped" with people who seem to want to tell me their life story. I do a good line in nodding and saying "mmm" and "goodness me" at what I hope are appropriate places. My friend thinks it is because I don't say much (to strangers) that people open up to me but it sort of amuses me and exasperates to varying degrees. Even pretending to read a book (my eyesight is really bad so I struggle in some lights) doesn't offer any protection as then someone will always ask what I'm reading and is it any good? I'm too polite to tell them to get lost although I am sorely tempted.
Denise said…
Aileen, your comment sent me scurrying to find out about the Myers-Briggs scale! Fascinating! Do you think we give off a certain aura that invites people to start uninvited conversations with us? I remember my daughter saying to me when she was young, ‘Mum, did you know that person who was talking to you?’ and I’d say that I didn’t, and she’d give me a lecture on ‘Stranger Danger!’ Part of me feels glad I am able to offer the chance to let people off-load, and I tell myself that maybe I’m the only one that person might have spoken to all day. But sometimes I think, ‘Good grief…here we go again.’ And, like you, I am too polite to tell them to go away!
Heather Gott said…
I still advocate the Stranger Danger message.
Denise said…
You are very wise, oh daughter of mine. Today, I was drawn into a reckless conversation with an elderly stranger armed with a leaf blower and garden bin. I mean, anything could have happened. 😱

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.