Skip to main content

My Exciting Day and Other Animals

 Today:

…put washing in machine first thing, hung it on washing line at 8.30 a.m which immediately caused rain to appear. Whilst polishing the dining room table, noticed that it had sustained some damage because SOMEONE had used it as a saw bench on Monday in order to cut the end off a piece of windowsill ledge that needed installing because SOMEONE ELSE has been jumping into the front window and scuffed all the paint off the windowsill with her scuffy little paw nails. Felt marginally miffed at damage to dining table AND windowsill, and immediately went online to look at new dining tables and to check resale prices of second hand cockapoos. Irritation assuaged, put Nell in car with intention of visiting Trentham Gardens for a long walk, which made rain pour even harder. Set off, regardless, because I am, if nothing else, a hopeful sort…

…stopped off en route to buy some eggs from ‘Ben’s Eggs’ at Loggerheads. Ben keeps a little cabin of eggs on the side of the road with an honesty box. I duly popped a fiver in the honesty box for a tray of two and a half dozen eggs and felt sad to read his polite notice that he may have to stop his roadside egg cabin because he’s suffered several thefts of late, of people not paying into the honesty box. This is sad, but it’s a sign of the world’s increasing decline in moral values…

…continued on into Loggerheads to be met with ‘Road Closed’ sign. Set off around the back of beyond lanes, following the detour signs which took me further away from Trentham and into the village of Woore, pronounced by the natives as ‘wooo-er’. Still raining. Decided I could not be arsed to continue on to Trentham, so headed for Bridgemere instead. Lanes full of pot holes requiring much dodging. Lanes also full of unnecessarily large lorries being diverted from the closed road and probably causing more pot hole damage…

…at Bridgemere, Nell did a poo. Went into the deli and purchased pie-based products for Lord Malarkey, namely a pork pie, a steak pie and a pasty. The nice deli lady popped a bit of ham in a bag as a treat for Nell because she was ‘cute.’ (Nell, not the deli lady.) Nell was overcome with excitement so I decided to head back to car because coping with an excitable cockapoo, a carrier bag of deli goodies AND a small poo bag of not-so-goody canine excrement was beyond my capabilities this morning…

…on way home, popped into Aldi to make exciting purchases of washing up liquid, laundry liquid, dog biscuits, milk, cheese and butter. Also, bought myself some flowers, because that’s the way it is these days. Sang ‘You don’t bring me flowers anymore’ as I left the car park. Nell reproachful at being left in the car for 10 minutes because heaven forfend I might go somewhere exciting without her…

…detoured to the post box in Morrison’s to post birthday card to a friend. Almost got run over by moron in a blue Audi who thought it a good idea to drive across a line of parking spaces to exit the car park rather than use the appropriate lanes. I might have made a small ‘You plank-head’ gesture. If Audi driver had stopped to take issue with me, I’d have told him he was plank-head straight to his stupid plank-head face…

…drove home. Checked washing on line which was marginally wetter than it was two hours previously. Decided I might as well leave it in situ because the wind was blowing a bit and my theory is always that wind trumps rain. Made a cup of tea and arranged my flowers. They are chrysanthemums, one of my favourites. Nell went into garden and ate a bunch of sticky weed which caused her to immediately vomit all over the courtyard steps. I attempted to clean it up using the poo scoop, but it was slimy and unco-operative sick, so I ended up flicking it as best I could into the rose bed because if I’d left it where it was it would be me skidding in it and breaking an ankle later on…

…had homemade broccoli, pea and nutmeg soup for lunch with sourdough rye bread (not home made because I have neither the love nor patience to keep my own sourdough starter alive) and watched ‘Bargain Hunt’ where both teams hit an all-time low with their selection of antique purchases. Tacky and tasteless seemed the order of the day, especially the Red Team. I felt justice was done when neither team made a profit…

…ye gods, I’m only half way through describing my day and I’m sooooo bored. Therefore, I shall not inflict the riveting joy of the afternoon’s activities on you. Instead, here’s a photo of Bambino titting about in an appropriate bag…



Comments

Anonymous said…
Aww, I was looking forward to hear about the rest of the day.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, believe me you didn’t miss much. Although things perked up the following day when a batch of flapjacks welded themselves to the baking tin…sigh…
Andy said…
I’m sorry about the table.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.