Skip to main content

Trolley Dash!


Minor victory at the supermarket today!

Picture the scene…

…it’s quiet. Just a few shoppers. I’ve popped in for a handful of basics as we are still being sustained by the stocks I bought before Christmas. As I push my trolley around the store, I cross paths a few times with two women, late thirties/ early forties yummy mummy types, you know, fur-lined gilets, long, swingy hair, duck pout lips, steely glint in their eyes. It soon becomes apparent that they are pushy types, too, who appear not like travelling behind other shoppers as they stride up and down the aisles.

I pootle onwards, ticking off my list as I go. No frozen green beans, though. Shop done, I head towards the checkouts. And, I kid you not, (I was in the lead in this particular aisle, not that I was trying, it just happened that way) both yummy mummies quickened their pace and hurtled past me to arrive at the only open checkout before me! Be in no doubt, dear Reader(s), this was a deliberate act of Trolley Aggression. They definitely were NOT going to let age (me) before beauty (them).

Yes, I emitted a little sigh as I took my place third in the queue behind the Princesses of Pushy. But hey - I didn’t have to be anywhere in a hurry, and maybe Les Méres du Yummy were running late for important appointments. You know, like for Botox, lip fillers or the tanning booth. Stuff like that, stuff which is of no interest to me who is growing old both floppily and disgracefully.

However, (and this has NEVER happened to me before) just as YM 2 had unloaded her shopping onto the conveyor belt behind YM 1, the announcement ‘We are opening checkout 4!’ came across the tannoy! Well! I was like an eel slipping through rushes as I swung my trolley effortlessly across to checkout 4 and a cashier arrived immediately to zip through my shopping! 

It was with more than a hint of smugness that I paid my bill at the same time as Yummy Mummy 1, leaving Yummy Mummy 2 in our wake! 

But it didn’t end there! Oh no, even though I was first out of the trap of checkout 4, YM 1 roared up on the outside from checkout 3 and overtook me, exiting the store a few steps ahead. She charged off to her BMW (of course) which was parked as close to the shop entrance as could be without actually parking inside. I was parked as far away as possible because I like space around my car when I park and I don’t mind walking a bit to a shop entrance because I’m not fussed about getting my hair messed up in poor weather conditions.

At this point, I had decided I wasn’t going to be beaten. With Yummy Mummy 2 now well out of the equation, I wasn’t going to submit to second place, even though ‘First the worst, second the best, third the dirty donkey’ as the saying goes. I knew I had the advantage of a trolley that didn’t have a trolley coin to reclaim, so would gain extra seconds there. Also, I didn’t have as much shopping to unload.

I marched across the car park, unloaded my shopping, marched back with my trolley and abandoned it in the first bay I came to. Then I marched back to my car, all the while keeping an eye on my BMW nemesis who appeared to be struggling with something in her passenger seat. (Small child? Difficult Chihuahua? Spilt fromage frais? Who knows? Who cares?)

And then I was in my car and on my way, exiting the car park as outright winner! As I pulled onto the main road, Yummy Mummy 1 still in her parking space, I allowed myself a little whoop of triumph.

‘You are SO petty,’ I told myself out loud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.