Skip to main content

Mixed Allsorts

 You know those days when you jump out of bed and in your mind you think, ‘Today, I shall do a, b and c,’ and then the day turns into something involving ‘x, y and z?’ Well, today was one of those days. 

My initial thought was that I’d take Nellibobs for a long walk and then get on with some housework, given how jolly cold it was. However, by 9 a.m, Lord Malarkey and I were in the garden in full Winter Tidy Up mode, which involved a very big bonfire which nearly set fire to our oak tree. Gosh, that was exciting! But we got it under control pretty quickly mostly because I didn’t want us to be the idiots whose story is reported  in the local newspaper for lighting a bonfire too close to a tree with the wind blowing in the wrong direction resulting in a visit from the fire brigade, no matter how appealing I find firemen.

We got rid of a lot of old bits of wood, and reduced the height of a stretch of hawthorn hedge that was becoming too big for its roots and behaving in an oppressive way in the orchard. I also waged war on the ivy population. I quite like ivy to look at, but I don’t like it smothering my trees. We’ve still a lot to do but I feel better now we’ve made a start. Andy decided to cook two large potatoes in the bonfire. I told him I remember my brother, cousin and I attempting to bake potatoes in a bonfire when we were children. We put them in an old biscuit tin and they were quickly reduced to lumps of charcoal. Today’s potatoes turned out much better, i.e they were edible. 

I have nineteen cousins in total. Two of them have sadly died - cystic fibrosis - but the others are all alive and kicking as far as I know. I keep in touch with only two of them, one on my Mum’s side of the family, the other on my Dad’s. But today, surprise surprise, another cousin got in touch with me completely out of the blue. He has lived in Australia for the last 10 years and he is 22 years younger than me. We had a jolly good catch up on WhatsApp lasting over three hours! It was good to hear from him and listen to his take on ‘the family.’ It’s funny the things you remember and the things you forget. And how stories vary depending on which side of the fence you sit. Families, eh? But he says he would like to keep in touch because I’m one of the ‘all right’ ones.


And then I had an appointment in town to sort out the transfer of an ISA that is due to mature soon. Barclays no longer has a branch in our nearest town but they do have a ‘pop up’ service in the local community centre for a few hours a week. I made an appointment on line and duly toddled off for a bit of financial admin. The transfer was complete within 10 minutes at a favourable interest rate, but then the person I saw decided to grill me about my account preferences, what savings I had elsewhere, another ISA, what I’d been doing this morning and what I intended to have for dinner that evening. Basically, she was after selling me loads of products AND getting me to transfer all our savings pots in other places into Barclays. Of course, I was having none of that, but it was nice and warm in the community centre so I let her witter on (not that I could get a word in edgeways) and then, thankfully, the wi-fi went down and our appointment came to an end. 

On my way home I thought, ‘That woman should go and sort out the wars in Ukraine and Israel. She’d have them sorted in no time. No one would dare argue with her.’

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good to know you are one of the “all right” ones!! Phew! Well, PooTin could do with a talking too! As well as others now we are at it.
KJ
Denise said…
It seems I am a rare find in my family, KJ! 😂😂

As for the whole PooTin et al business, on the rare occasions I watch the news or read about these conflicts, I wonder what on EARTH people think they are trying to achieve with all the fighting. It seems ridiculous to me.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.