Skip to main content

January ‘Doings’

My brother is ‘doing’ both Veganuary and Dry January. Of course, he is ‘doing’ these two challenges in his own inimitable way, which means basically not doing them at all, at least not in the obvious way. Therefore, he says, he is a vegan every day between meal times, and he is ‘dry’ every day until 4 p.m when he has a beer. I think it’s all down to percentages. If a meal takes 20 minutes to consume, that means every day for 23 hours he is a vegan. It’s just the single hour a day when he indulges in bacon, sausages, chicken, beef. It’s how his mind works. Anything with a 90% success rate might as well be 100%. Mad. 

Anyway, he messaged me this evening to say he’d just made some bread sauce (to go with his roast chicken) and had used a bay leaf from a packet with a 2005 date stamp on it. I responded that I doubted it would make any difference and he said, well, it didn’t last time. I have pondered sending him some fresh bay leaves from my bay tree. Just in case.

Do you remember my bay tree? Started off a foot high, exploded into an eight feet high monstrosity, was then dug up and relocated when we had the patio done a couple of years ago, and then promptly died because it didn’t like being moved? Well, my friends, it seems the bay tree is made of stern stuff, for in the last year it has started sprouting again from the bottom of its deadness! It’s like Lady Boothby, the Back Door Fuchsia all over again. Hurrah! All I need do is take the loppers to the dead bit and nurture the new growth. A job for the middle of Summer, I think, so I don’t shock the poor thing during this cold snap. 

As for my own January ‘doings’ (which involve neither veganism nor drinking alcohol which I don’t do anyway so I’ve already won that challenge!) I have begun by taking out a paper subscription to Writing Magazine.


Now, I can read Writing Magazine for free on the library website (join a library! The free access newspapers, magazines and books saves a huge amount of money!) BUT when I have a paper copy in my cold little hands, I tend to read more thoroughly. I’m not really a fan of reading from an electronic device. Just ask my Kindle that is languishing in a drawer somewhere. I tend to skim read when I read electronically. Proper books and magazines will always be Queen in my world. 

Anyway, I used to subscribe to Writing Magazine years ago - in fact, I managed to get myself shortlisted in the final 10 for one of their competitions way back in 2008. But then I stopped subscribing because I was too busy being a teacher to have the time to write properly. However, now I am a retired lady of leisure and time is plentiful, what I intend to do this year is enter loads of writing competitions. And being a subscriber means some of those competitors are free to enter and others are reduced fees. Also, I get a free copy of The Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook 2024, which is like the bible for all writers and authors. Also, if you subscribe, the cover price is £4 a month whereas if you buy individuals copies it is £7.99. Blimey, when did magazines get so expensive? And that is why I belong to a library so I can read them all for free! 

This month’s edition comes with the added bonus of a competition guide for the whole year which will be a handy little tome to have. I shall be setting about it with my highlighter pen immediately. 

More immediately, I have started writing a short story for a competition on the theme of ‘Winter.’ The first thing I did was write down everything the word ‘Winter’ makes me think of and then I discounted these ideas because they are the clichés that everyone else will be using. I wrote the first 600 words and then shared them and the story idea with Andy who said it was original. And he laughed, too, which was good as it has a comedic slant to it. Thus I feel I am on the right track. The competition deadline is on my calendar. I’m being very business like about this ‘doing.’

Once the competition deadlines are met, and if nothing comes of my entries, then I shall use them for fodder on my blog. I am also planning to blog every day. Which might result in some days of absolute drivel. It’s a risk I’m willing to take. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looking forward to hear more!
KJ
Denise said…
Watch this space!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.