Skip to main content

Love's Labour's Lost

 


Following the revelation that William Shakespeare is a thief, plagiarist and cat murderer, but now stuffed and a bit tipsy on free gluhwein and apple streusel, the audience return to their seats, and the cast resume their Victorian ghost story telling performance.

Ptolemy Pheasant arranges his lengthy tail feathers in the armchair, decides it is all too uncomfortable and begins to relate the story of his ancestor, Ptolemy Bysshe Keats Pheasante, standing up.

‘Ptolemy Bysshe Keats Pheasante, like all his ancestors before him and those after, was a romantic, a charmer, an appreciator of all things beautiful,’ begins Ptolemy. ‘And he chose to express his sensibilities via the medium of poetry, mostly because it allowed him to waft around in frilly shirts and avoid doing any hard graft that might get his wings dirty. As with all young pheasants of his time, he travelled abroad on tour, collecting artefacts and treasures from fine European cities, to bring home and inspire him to write the sort of poetry that would immortalise him in the English canon for centuries to come.’

Ptolemy rolls his eyes a bit. He has actually read some of his ancestor’s poetry (in the spirit of doing some background research to get in touch with some authentic performance vibes) and it all seemed a lot of effort for very little gain.

‘However,’ he continues, ‘Ptolemy Bysshe Keats soon came to realise that mere objects are not the best of creative muses. And he realised this on the evening he attended a ball and met the delightful and delectable lady hen, Miss Daisy Frizzell, who immediately captured his heart and mind, and ignited in him the sort of instincts that are not mentioned in polite society. He set about wooing Miss Frizzell with flowery versus and elegant letters, and although he was basically incapable of stringing together two coherent sentences, let alone a rhyming couplet or villanelle, Daisy did not doubt his ardour or intent, and so the relationship began to blossom.

‘Aaaah,’ went the audience.

‘However,’ continued Ptolemy, ‘there was another who was hell-bent on gaining the love, and, ultimately, the hand in marriage of Miss Frizzell. And that was a haughty ptarmigan from the next town who went by the name of Byronic Wastrel, and who generally stomped around like he owned the place. Strictly speaking he did – well, his family did – and his father often told him that ‘One day, son, all this will be yours,’ whilst advising him to also a) find a nice young lady with whom to settle down and b) avoid getting himself shot in the high season.

One day, Ptolemy Bysshe Keats was entertaining Miss Frizzell in the meadows. It was Winter – the grass was frosted and the little pond whose surface usually rippled in a gentle breeze was frozen solid.  Daisy, muffled warmly against the cold, was sat upon a tussock eating Turkish Delight (like you do) and Ptolemy Bysshe Keats was serenading her with his latest poetic effort. It was a simple verse, but to be honest, Daisy was easily pleased and was happy to listen but mostly concentrate on the enjoyment of the Turkish Delight.

Ptolemy Bysshe Keats was just about to embark on the third verse of his epic work, which was entitled ‘Three Hundred and Twelve Things I Do Love About Miss Frizzell’, when a shout echoed across the meadows. It was Byronic Wastrel.

‘Oh no,’ sighed Daisy. ‘It’s Byronic. He’s been visiting me all week. He wants to marry me, you know. He’s already asked Papa, and Papa has agreed it would be a most suitable and beneficial match for both families.’ And she nibbled on a fresh piece of Turkish Delight.

‘You’re going to marry that Wastrel?’ said Ptolemy Bysshe Keats, the shocking revelation halting him in his recitation. ‘But surely, my love, are we not meant to be together?’

Daisy thought whilst she was chewing. ‘Well,’ she said, ‘of course, I find you enormously attractive and I very much enjoy our times together as friends. But don’t you see it would be impractical for us to marry, what with you being a penniless poet and all?’

‘But…but…I’m not actually penniless,’ said Ptolemy Bysshe Keats. ‘I mean, I’m not hugely wealthy either, but I have enough to provide us with a modest but comfortable living.’

Daisy smiled. ‘In theory that sounds wonderful,’ she says. ‘However, I want to live in a manner to which I have yet to become accustomed and Byronic Wastrel is enormously wealthy….’

‘You’d marry for money over love?’ said Ptolemy Bysshe Keats.

Daisy considered the matter for all of four seconds. ‘Yes,’ she said. ‘I would.’

Before Ptolemy Bysshe Keats could register his shock at how fickle his beloved had become, the cad that is Byronic Wastrel had arrived and was standing, legs akimbo, wings on hips, staring at him with a steely glint in his beady ptarmigan eyes.

‘Pheasante,’ said Wastrel, ‘I believe that is my fiancée you are consorting with. Desist, sir, or else.’

‘Or else what?’ said Ptolemy Bysshe Keats, starting to feel more than a little betrayed and hard done by.

‘This,’ said Wastrel, and he marched up to Ptolemy Bysshe Keats and smacked him around the face with a fine leather glove, probably crafted by a descendant of Shakespeare’s father, who knows? ‘I challenge you to a duel, Sir,' he continued. 'To save the honour of my fiancée, Miss Frizzell.’

‘A duel?’ said Ptolemy Bysshe Keats. ‘I’m not going to fight a duel. I have too much poetry to write.’

‘Ah ha!’ said Wastrel. ‘A coward, eh? Sir, I demand to be satisfied. I have pistols with me and I suggest we settle the matter now.’

And then, because time is of the essence and the Lady Author realises she is rambling on somewhat, Ptolemy Bysshe Keats found himself standing back to back with Byronic Wastrel, holding a pistol and feeling slightly put out that he had been railroaded into a life and death situation and he hadn’t yet perfected the art of haiku.

‘Ten paces, sir!’ barked Byronic. ‘Then turn and shoot like a pheasant. Commence NOW!’

And off they went. One…two…three…four…five…six…seven…..CRACK!

Some of you might be thinking there has been a spot of cheating occurring, and someone has fired their pistol three paces too early. But the crack you heard was not that of gunfire. Oh no. It was of an idiot pheasant not looking where he was going, marching out onto the frozen pond and falling through the ice!

And because he was wearing his usual garb of pantaloons and frilly shirt, and not the nice thick woolly winter coat, hats and mittens one would normally wear mid-Winter, Ptolemy Bysshe Keats not only drowned immediately, he felt bloomin’ freezing whilst he was doing it.

‘Damn you, sir!’ shouted Byronic Wastrel when he realised the fate of Ptolemy Bysshe Keats Pheasante. And what had the potential to be an exciting dramatic event turned into a bit of a damp squib. Even Daisy barely looked up from polishing off her box of Turkish Delight.

‘Heavens!’ says Mrs Slocombe. ‘What a way to go.’

‘At least it was quick,’ says Ptolemy, closing his storybook. ‘And explains why I don’t like getting my feet cold. Must be a genetic memory thing.’

‘What ARE you whittering on about,’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘Genetic memory, my fluffy backside. What nonsense. Now shoo with you. We’ve still three more ghost stories to hear.’ 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh dear, poor Ptolemy. Forced onto a frozen lake by another silent ‘p’.
🦆
Denise said…
Ptarmigans, eh? Little blighters.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.