Skip to main content

When Two Became One


 The bread went a bit wild this morning. I was going to confine each loaf to its own tin but decided to let them go free- range, as it were, and this was the result. Bloomin’ gorgeous, though! 

Nell continues to recover well and her illness remains a mystery. She wants to do full-on playing and galloping around the garden but is under the instructions of her private physician, Dr Hunt, to be on light duties for the next few days. Therefore, it falls to me as Supervising Officer to implement the instructions and, consequently, I have confiscated her favourite balls, her frisbee and her squeaky frog. We are spending a lot of time on the sofa watching rubbish television because Nell is rather enjoying scooching up next to me and sleeping, which is a good and restful thing for her to do at the moment. I don’t enjoy sitting for long periods of time but shall tolerate it for the sake of Nell’s recovery. For light exercise, we go into the garden a couple of times a day to do some leaf clearing which, in reality, means Nell can perambulate sedately and stare up trees in the hope of spotting a squirrel whilst I crack on with the Labour of Sisyphus that is leaf clearing.

My (sssshhhhh) Christmas shopping is complete! I’ve even wrapped some of it. I shall post what needs to be posted to far off family and friends in the first week of December. Mercury turns retrograde on 13th December, remaining so until 1st January, and I’m not going to risk parcels and cards going astray during that period of time especially as the Post Office/ Royal Mail / I’m never sure what to call it errs towards the business model called ‘Random Service’ these days. Regardless, I am organised and ready to beat the system, both Solar and Postal. 

The Much Malarkey Manor Christmas Story draft is reaching its half-way point. I am warning you in advance that it is a particularly surreal and random offering of drivel this year, just in case you want to make other plans for your festive entertainment. I thought I had a firm plot direction, but then it turned out I didn’t, and then I did, and now I might but it’s questionable. Aaah, the joys of being a Writer! I’ve read some to Lord Malarkey who says it’s good but he might just be saying that to humour me and prevent me having a meltdown. Anyway, it is what it is and there are a couple of jokes in it that make me snigger. 

Bambino is now firing on all his furry cylinders after his illness. However, he was drinking and peeing more than usual, and eating huge amounts which I put down to him wanting to make up for lost time. Anyway, he needed to be tested for diabetes so tiny syringes were left at relevant places for the collection of a urine sample when the opportunity arose. Please don’t ask for the whys, hows and wherefores but suffice to say I managed to obtain a syringeful of Bambino piddle this morning which Andy took to work for testing, reporting back to me that the sample was normal. Thank goodness for that, I thought. At least, for today, he doesn’t have diabetes. 

My Teachers’ Pension statement came through a couple of days ago and I was delighted to see that I am able to claim my full pension entitlement at 60 rather than some at 60 and the rest at 67 as I’d originally thought. I was one of a cohort of fellow teachers who was caught betwixt and between the changeover arrangements of career average and final salary calculations, and now it’s all been sorted that I am officially final salary (hurrah, because I did leave teaching on my best ever salary!) and I can benefit from an income and tax-free lump sum sooner rather than later. I’m already having daydreams about what to do with the lump sum…think I might buy some lumps of something.

Final thought…





Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad to hear the critters are on the way to recovery/ back to normal self. Hurrah for the pension income! Lump sum? Oooh the possibilities! You always have the option of choosing your family, or extend it as you please.
KJ
Denise said…
I said to Andy that after Nell and Bambino there will be no more pets. He arched an eyebrow at me, KJ - he arched a very cynical eyebrow at me!!
Anonymous said…
I would too!! Hahaha
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.