Skip to main content

Stuck Between a Rock and a Dentist

 


I had an appointment for a dental check-up today, at 9 a.m which is in exactly 26 minutes from now. Why are you sitting writing a blog post, I hear you say. Shouldn’t you be heading off into town, to park up and walk to the surgery because they have no parking at their practice and therefore you have to factor in parking and walking time? Well, firstly this is not a blog post - it is a rant. And secondly, I shall now tell you…

My check up appointment was made at the end of January following the check up I had then. My dental surgery is  keen for its patients to visit every six months but I think a nine month gap between check ups is quite adequate, thank you, especially as my surgery has a habit of cancelling appointments at the last minute and the rebook they offer is usually a couple of months further down the line anyway. They initially offered me an appointment on 2nd November, which is my birthday. I said that a visit to the dentist wasn’t high on my list of fun birthday activities and the receptionist laughed and made the appointment for a week later. In hindsight, I am glad, because it tipped it down with rain on my birthday and I’d have got drenched walking to the surgery, on account of their lack of parking facilities. I digress.

Three weeks ago I received a text reminding me I had an appointment at 9 a.m on 9th November. Ten days ago, I received an email reminding me I had an appointment at 9 a.m on 9th November and that I needed to fill in the attached forms online and return them, along with a confirmation that neither I nor anyone I’ve been in contact with has had covid in the last 10 days. Well, I am pretty sure I haven’t had covid but I can’t be so sure about all the other germy people who’ve been in my vicinity. Two days later, Andy came down with some horrid coughy, sniffy bug. I don’t know if it was covid. Seemed like what we used to call, in the old days ‘a chesty cough’. I haven’t caught it. He says he is feeling much better today so hurrah for that. 

I duly filled in the forms, even though nothing has changed since my last visit when I filled in these forms, which was in June because I lost a bit of back tooth filling and it needed replacing. £125 they charged me for that. £125 for a chuffing replacement filling. I think their forms should have a box to tick that says, ‘No changes since last visit.’ That’d save ten minutes of my time.

Two days ago, I received a text reminding me I had an appointment at 9 a.m on 9th November. I was jolly glad I was receiving these reminders because, despite the fact the appointment is written on my calendar and in my diary, I might well have forgotten. (Pah!) That was sarcasm, by the way. It’s one of my less pleasant traits which rears its head every now and again. I can’t help it -  well, I can but it would mean fighting my genetic make up and I really don’t think I have the strength at the moment.

And then, Dear Reader(s) this morning, at 8.03 a.m - 57 minutes before my appointment and just as I was getting ready to leave the house -  I received this text message: 

“Mrs Denise Hunt. Sorry! We need to cancel your appointment on 09/11/23. Please call The Dental Practice to arrange an alternative.”

Seriously??? You couldn’t make it up. Also, my surgery is actually called ‘The Dental Practice.’ You’d think, in this day an age, they’d have come up with something more witty. Like ‘The Whole Tooth’ or ‘Tooth Hurty.’ 

Now, all the reminders I received came with the addendum that if I couldn’t attend the appointment, I MUST give 24 hours notice or I MIGHT be charged a cancellation fee. And the surgery waiting room walls contain posters that state if you don’t visit your dentist for two years, then you will be deregistered as a patient. 

But it’s okay for them to cancel appointments with less than an hour’s notice. 

The problem is, I am stuck. There are no NHS dentists available in my area, so I have to go private. I have to dance to their tune because if I don’t I shall be without a dentist. And at my age, being registered with a dentist, no matter how extortionate their prices, is one of those services you need on standby. 

Update: the surgery receptionist has just phoned, all apologies and baby-voiced because that’s the correct approach when having to appease an irked client. She has made me an appointment for Monday 8th January. Almost a year since my last check up…



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.