Skip to main content

Pre-Match Pep Chat

Mrs Miggins and I are sitting in front of the fire. She is smoking her pipe and I am smoking some chickpeas because I have heard tell they make a lovely crunchy snack. It’s the first fire this Winter and it’s bloomin’ lovely, lounging here roasting our toeses in the fire’s warmth on what has been a very minus 5 degrees kind of cold and icy day. 

‘I can’t believe it’s the first of December tomorrow,’ says Miggins. ‘It seems like only yesterday we were getting ready to premier the Much Malarkey Manor Christmas Story 2022.’

‘It’s scary,’ I say. ‘But then they say the older you grow the faster the years pass you by.’

‘Who’s ‘they’, then?’ says Mrs Miggins.

I shrug. ‘I don’t know. Them. Those who know everything.’

‘Politicians?’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘I find that highly unlikely.’

‘Well quite,’ I say. ‘But let’s not think about politicians. Are we prepared for the launch of the Much Malarkey Manor Christmas Story 2023?’

‘I believe so,’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘The Performing Contracts have been signed. We almost didn’t get Ptolemy Pheasant because his appearance fee request had rocketed waaaaay beyond the rate of inflation.’

‘Oh, well done for securing him, though,’ I say. ‘Did you meet his demands?’

‘Certainly not!’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘He met mine. Which was he could take what he was offered and be grateful I wasn’t auditioning young up-and-coming pheasants to replace him.’

‘Show biz is so fickle,’ I sigh. ‘One minute you’re riding high on public adoration, the next minute you’re Russell Brand.’

‘How’s the writing coming along?’ says Mrs Miggins. She always gets a bit nervous at this time of year, wondering if I’ll meet the deadline. To be honest, so do I.

‘Well,’ I say, ‘today I did a final edit of the first twelve days, and I’m half-way to completing Day 13. I’ve also mapped out the remaining eleven days so I know where the story is going and how I’m going to get there. It’ll be fine,’ I finish, and I pat Miggins’ knee in a reassuring way. 

‘Good, good,’ says Mrs Miggins, allowing herself a little sigh of relief and making a mental note that she won’t have to start nagging me to complete the story until at least 10th December. 

And so, Dear Reader(s), brace yourselves. Stock up on your festive snacks, plump your novelty cushions, brew the tea and maybe have a stack of tissues and/or Tena Lady to hand depending on which end you anticipate might need a-mopping. Comedy, pathos, mystery, magic, intellect - this year’s story has got the lot! All I ask is that, as usual, you willingly suspend your disbelief and accept that anything can, and probably will, happen. 




Comments

Anonymous said…
Unfortunately, as exciting a prospect as it may be, the annual flirtation with the nether region of Mrs Pumphrey’s skirts isn’t enough to put corn on the table. Have you seen the price of corn? It has rocketed waaaaay beyond inflation.. Floods you see. And heatwaves. If an A-list bird is to maintain his tip top condition he has to eat.
Best regards, Ptolemy Pheasant Management
Denise said…
Dear Ptolemy Pheasant Management,

Thank you for your kind correspondence on the matter of your client maintaining his tip top condition. I wonder, has he considered swapping his diet of corn for something less pricey - budget pasta, for example? Equally nutritious with the bonus of availability of different shapes according to the accompanying pasta sauce?

Your client will, of course, be well-fed whilst on location and has the opportunity to earn a performance-related bonus of up to 5.3% (gross) which, we feel, is a generous offer given the current financial markets. His performance targets will include keeping his mittens off Mrs Pumphrey’s skirts.

Kind regards and please find enclosed two complementary tickets to this year’s performance with a voucher for a free salted caramel interval ice cream.

Director in Charge (possibly)
Lady Malarkey
Anonymous said…
Ptolemy Pheasant maintains a strict diet which specifically excludes all UPF, such as might be found in budget pasta sauce.
Me? I’m anyone’s for a salted caramel ice cream..
Denise said…
Excuse me, but Ptolemy Pheasant will NOT be subjected to budget pasta sauce chez the Manor! All pasta sauces are prepared from fresh ingredients and ne’er a UPF shall pass his beak. Also, I’ve seen him eat Wotsits at the after show party…just saying…

(P.S I got the salted caramel ice cream in especially for you 😉)

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.