Skip to main content

Poos and Doodles - Know Your Tribe

 


Here is Nell, sitting in front of her stately pile. And that is NOT a euphemism for a dollop of doo-do, either, for those of you sniggering at the back. No, she was out and about on her daily walk and ‘twas a photo opportunity too good to miss. Don’t ask me where it was - can’t remember and it really doesn’t matter. She looks a fine specimen of a pooch, that’s all. 

Today, Nell took her walk at the Trentham Estate. I went with her because she can’t be trusted around squirrels, ducks, pigeons and crows, and Trentham is full of these creatures. In my capacity, then, as chief-scooper-of-the-poo and holder-of-the-harness, off we went and enjoyed a brisk sojourn around the woods ‘n’ lake. She was very well-behaved, well, compared with other dogs that we met who weren’t so well-behaved anyway. It’s always good to see that your own dog isn’t the one who is being tutted at for barking/ snapping/biting/ flinging itself around on the end of its lead in a rabid frenzy. While still exuding a youthful exuberance because Nell just loves life and doesn’t care who knows it (and, at almost 11 months old, she is still technically a puppy) she demonstrates good social skills with people and other dogs.

The odd thing I’ve noticed though, about her interaction with other dogs, is that she is really drawn to other poodle-types. She will trot past dachshunds, shihtzus, dalmations, Staffies, without a second glance, intent on sniffing and snuffling the undergrowth and drinking from puddles. She might wag her tail at a Labrador and she quite likes a miniature schnauzer BUT when she sees another cockapoo, maltipoo, labradoodle, bordoodle or even an actual poodle poodle, it’s like she knows and the other dog knows that they are one and the same tribe and they have to stop and say ‘Hello!’ 

I’ve said as much to other poo and doodle owners. And they agree. They have all noticed that these dogs who share the poodle gene all gravitate towards each other, like they recognise their shared characteristics. Isn’t that clever? Or weird? Either way, these poodle-type dogs know their tribe. 

Sometimes, I wonder to which tribe I belong. A writers’ tribe? An arty-crafty tribe? A witchy other-worldly tribe? A gardeners’ tribe? Occasionally, I will try and assimilate myself into a tribe because that’s what human beings do, isn’t it? Don’t they have to be part of a social group in order to thrive and survive? But generally, I find that I will join a tribe with enthusiasm and energy, and then I’ll become disillusioned and annoyed, and then I will leave the tribe (exit stage right, pursued by a gust of wind and some tumbleweed) and I find myself perched on the edge of society, looking in and wondering what the chuff it’s all about and why human beings have such a huge capacity to be so horrible to each other.

And that perhaps I should start my own tribe. Or perhaps I’ll just stay where I am, sitting here on the edge of society, watching it all kick off and continuing to be bemused by it all…

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would like to join your tribe if that’s alright with you?
KJ
Denise said…
It would be an honour, KJ! 🙂

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.