Skip to main content

Oh. Christmas Tree.

 


One of my favourite things about Christmas is the Christmas Tree. I love the pine smell, the decorations, the lights and the whole romantic starry glow of the things. For years and years, a real tree was the only option. We’d make an afternoon of going to choose our tree, a sort of Christmas tradition. But three years ago, we ended up buying a very realistic artificial one because, I seem to remember, the whole clearing up of fallen pine needles was becoming a bit of an irritating faff. 

Also, when one has pets, an artificial tree is a safer option. Real pine needles getting stuck in kitty paws and throats is something to be avoided.

Kittens love Christmas trees, and over the years my experience of cats + trees = they’ll climb them and play with the baubles but soon get bored and eventually grow out of showing too much interest. We’ve never had a Christmas tree totally decimated by cats. I seem to remember one year Tybalt bringing one crashing to floor but it was only once. Bambino showed interest in the Christmas tree in the first year but his interest declined over the ensuing two years and last year he would occasionally give the tree a casual bat with his paw in passing but nothing that caused my blood pressure to rocket unduly. He rather enjoyed sitting underneath it but that’s because the tree skirt is especially lush and comfy.

However…

…this year we have the unknown Christmas tree quantity in the shape of Nellibobs Cockapoo. 

By Christmas, Nell will be a whole year old. An adult dog. No longer a puppy dog. And adults, generally speaking, do not go around wrecking Christmas trees. However, I am already experiencing a sense of impending doom about installing the tree in its usual setting which is in the corner between the sofa and the living room door. I just know she won’t be able to leave it alone and within hours, if not minutes, I shall want to take her to the nearest market place and sell her for five magic beans. Or just beans. 

‘You don’t know that for sure,’ said Lord Malarkey. ‘How about we put the tree up but don’t decorate it. See how she reacts to it and go from there?’

Well, it’s a good thought. In fact, I thought perhaps I should put the tree up earlier than usual, sort of introduce it, all casual-like, in the manner of, ‘Hey! It’s just a tree. Nothing to see here. Nothing to do.’ And then add the decorations, ninja-style, so she barely notices a fully decorated lights ‘n’ baubles extravaganza come a week before Christmas which is about the time I usually set up the tree anyway. 

My other thought was ‘Let’s not bother with a tree this year, because I really don’t know if I can be arsed with the palaver.’

But I love Christmas trees! If we don’t have one this year, it will be the first time in my LIFE that I’ll experience a Christmas sans tree. And that thought makes me feel very sad. It’s been a rubbish enough year as it is, without finishing it without a tree. 

Therefore, this weekend  I’ve started giving the whole tree conundrum some serious thought. It’s because I’ve been gardening for most of the afternoon and eyeing up all the holly and ivy I’m going to use for making wreaths and decorating the pictures and fireplace beam with. 

I think I shall set up our usual tree and see how Nell responds. At least, being a lady dog, she won’t cock her leg against it. But I also think I have a cunning alternative plan forming in my cunning alternative mind. It might be time to trigger a change - in more ways than one. 

Comments

Heather Gott said…
Give me a shout when wreath making commences. I've a sturdy willow ring eager to be adorned with holly and ivy for the front door. Unfortunately, we've decimated most of the ivy in our garden. A wreath making session would be a delight. I also want to dry some oranges for garlands. X
Anonymous said…
You are a few years ahead of me. Last year we had to take the tree down unexpectedly early due to my allergies. Crying a storm with my one eye cut it’s life short. I haven’t yet given up the thought of a real tree but it will not be up before the 23rd and only stay up until my eyes says enough, going back to my childhood’s tradition. Putting up the tree up the 23rd that is. An artificial tree is in the cards probably sooner rather than later. It’s a bit ironic being allergic to pine trees, considering I love spending time in the mountains surrounding myself with pine trees… so far so good with an over the counter medicine.
KJ
Anonymous said…
…other than when I take pine trees inside, obvs. And today while vacuuming I saw pine needles… from last year!!! Agh!!
KJ
Denise said…
Marvellous! A mum ‘n’ daughter festive decorating day! I’ll consult my hectic social engagements diary and set a date. 😁 We, as you can imagine, have plenty of ivy!

KJ - you poor thing. Horrid allergies. I’ve been putting the tree up later and later as the years pass. If it’s up for too long it somehow detracts from the magic. With real pine trees I get a rash from the sap but it doesn’t last long. As for the pine needles - yup, I’ve had that. Random ones appearing in June. I mean, honestly…🙄

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.