Skip to main content

Monkey Birthday

 


This is Monkey. Today, Monkey is 58 years old, which, coincidentally, is the same age as me! Monkey was a gift from my aunts Pollie and Necé to me, given on the day I was born. I didn’t know this until a few years ago when my Mum surrendered Monkey into my possession. Until that point, I just thought it was a weird little soft toy that lived on her dressing table. But turns out it was mine all along! The Monkey, not the dressing table. 

My brother WhatsApped me this morning to remind me I was 58 years old. He said, ‘That’s two years away from 60.’ It was on the tip of my tongue to say, yes, I did get my O level maths, you know, but I didn’t because sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, so instead I said, ‘What, like you’ll be 60 in three years and three weeks’ time?’ because he is exactly a year and three weeks younger than me. I comfort myself that I look younger than him because I have been moisturising since I was 14 and I am pretty certain he hasn’t. 

Monkey and I received some lovely birthday gifts and cards. We went out for lunch at a pub near to where Andy will be working at his new job in January. Did I tell you Andy has a new job? Anyway, we met Heather and Ollie (Heather made me a quite FABULOUS birthday cake - chocolate, raspberries and cream  - and I blew out the candle and made a wish because I believe in the magick of this kind of thing) and we enjoyed a good chatty lunch. 

And now I am home and reading one the books I received. And I am thinking, now I am 58, there’s not much I want in life. It’s the simple things that mean the most. It is the sense of peace and calm, of good company and lovely food, of thoughtful gifts (like the hand crocheted blanket from my dear friend, Jane, made with love, that will be treasured), of knowing that all will be well if you let it be well. Even the constant rain and gusty winds of today mean that it feels all the more cosy and snug indoors. 

Here we go, then, Monkey and I, into our 59th year. I feel quietly optimistic that it will be a good one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy birthday!
KJ
Anonymous said…
Happy birthday to both of you monkeys!
I’m glad you had a lovely day in spite of the weather.
🦆
Denise said…
Thank you, KJ!

Thank you, Mrs Duck!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.