Skip to main content

You’re HOW old? Noooo…really???

 Back in June, I contributed to a crowd funding project. I’ve never done this before, not being a speculative type of person. However, the person I was helping to crowd fund is a particularly talented artist called Hayley and she was working hard towards achieving a dream of hers, which was to publish a diary based around the phases of the Moon. And as I love the Moon, astrology, and her art, as I say, is amazing, I made a pre-purchase of the diary launch bundle which consisted of the diary (obvs), a poster wall calendar, a bookmark, a sticker and this rather snazzy tote bag:


Hayley’s website is www.moonphasestudios.com 

The crowd funder was successful and my bundle duly arrive at the beginning of October. The diary is lovely!


It’s nice and weighty, beautiful to hold, printed on good quality paper, and is set out very well inside. Packed with lovely stuff, it is, and it will be a pleasure to use. It starts on 12th December and covers the following 13 moon phases across 2024. I am very pleased with it…

…but…

…just one tiny niggle. I started reading the introductory pages and…well, you know I’m a writer and an English teacher and a pedant…


Can you see what made me wince? Yup, it’s a good old errant apostrophe. There! ‘In it’s broadest terms…’

I mean, come on. How many times do have I have to roll my eyes before the English-speaking world population gets this right? An apostrophe used in ‘it’s’ means the replacement of the letter ‘i’. It’s = it is. So this sentence actually says, ‘In it is broadest terms…’ which does not make sense. What was needed was ‘its’ to denote the ownership of ‘broadest’ to ‘terms.’ Basically, if you aren’t sure about your ‘it’s’ and your ‘its’, take out the apostrophe, replace it with an ‘i’ and if the sentence doesn’t make sense, you’ve got the wrong one. 

Anyway, I’ve taken a deep breath and not lost any sleep over it. The diary, as I say, is beautiful and I am glad to have been able to help Hannah achieve her dream. 

Whilst we are on Moon stuff, did you know that scientists now believe the Moon is 40 million years older than previously believed? Can you imagine the strength of the moisturiser the Lady Moon has been using to fool scientists about her age for so long? Her skin care regime must be amazing. I bet she never goes to bed in full make-up for a start AND I bet she drinks lots of water, doesn’t smoke and uses one of those jade face rollers. 

‘Go on,’ said the Moon, ‘guess how old I am!’

‘Errr…4.5 billion years?’ said the scientist, who hates it when women ask him to guess their age, and so always errs on the side of caution.

‘Wrong by 40 million years!’ said the Moon, strutting off triumphantly into the night sky, and feeling just a little bit smug that she knew about collagen-based moisturisers waaaaaay before anyone else.

But then I found this little moon fact snippet…


Aaah, so THAT’s how she does it! Sod the application of rose oil this evening, then - I shall be pebble-dashing my face with gravel!


Comments

Anonymous said…
I know that rule! Not that it doesn’t slip every now and again. The bag and diary are both lovely.
KJ
Denise said…
I know I shouldn’t be so irritated by the whole apostrophe thing. I expect one day it will no longer bother me. NOT!!!
Heather Gott said…
I almost purchased this for your birthday! :O I am glad something in my gut stopped me... it is a very beautiful. Just tipex out the apostrophe 😂
Denise said…
Well, hurrah for excellent birthday choice and double hurrah for gut instinct!! Tippex? Tippex??? Bad English teacher!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.