Skip to main content

XL Woolly

 When you are a person, such as me, who used to be considerably larger in size than you are now, the habit of buying clothing in bigger sizes tends to sit with you because you sometimes can’t quite believe you are a significantly smaller person. Somehow you seem programmed to hit the XL button when you are internet shopping because in your mind you always see yourself as enormous. 

This week, then, when I decided to add to my collection of brightly coloured Winter woolly tights (because there is nothing like cheerful hosiery to keep one feeling chipper during the cold dark months) I ordered six pairs - black, navy, plum, burgundy, red and mustard - all in size XL. Well, you have to be careful with thick tights because they don’t have the stretch of their finer denier companions. And a straining gusset flying at half mast can be a very debilitating thing when one is out walking in public and there’s no discreet corner where one can hide and have a surreptitious yank up and rearrange of one’s under nether arrangements. Best err on the side of caution especially when one has ordered XL in the past and wept to oneself when even they didn’t fit properly. 

The tights arrived a couple of days later, and today I wore the mustard pair because I am currently channelling Malvolio on account of my early stage planning of the Much Malarkey Manor Christmas Story 2023 AND I was wearing mostly navy, and apparently mustard and navy are trΓ©s chic and on trend this season. 

Here they are:


I am sitting down because it’s been a busy day and my little feet are tired. But mustard, eh? Good old Colman’s English, I reckon.

The thing is, when I put them on, I soon realised I could have probably got away with ordering M for Medium instead of XL for Xtra Large. (Why aren’t they EL for Extra Large? That would make better sense, surely?) As I pulled them up, they went waaaaaay past my tum ‘n’ bum and, Dear Reader(s), dare I say, all the way over my ribs and up to my bosomage! They are like a tights and vest combo in one! In fact, if I wore them bra less (which I wouldn’t because that would be MOST unwise) they would be pullable up and over the now non-gravity defying nipples!

Could I attach little straps to the tops of the tights and wear them as some sort of snug fitting waders, I wondered? Obviously, I wouldn’t go into water with them because that would definitely be inviting a droopy gusset, but the thought did cross my mind. The only problem is that every time I needed a visit to the wee shop, I’d have to pretty much fully undress to release the straps, and that’d be a load of faff for a quick tiddle. And if you remember the garment called the ‘body’, popular during the 1980s (a leotard, basically, which did up down below via poppers on the gusset - whoever thought THAT would be comfortable was clearly a man) you’d know that clothing that inhibits the need for an urgent wee is never a good idea.

Andy reckons my other problem (are tights that reach one’s armpits a problem? Jolly snuggly, I’d say) will be if they slide downwards and pool in wrinkles around my ankles, and I’d end up like Nora Batty. I don’t know if this is wishful thinking on his part. Anyway, I am all woolly tight ready for Winter! Hurrah! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Andy beat me to it because I had Nora Batty in mind from the start. Is that what she did I wondered? Ordered an XL when it should have been M?
I bought a pair of trousers last year (bright pink you’ll be pleased to know!) that have a six button fly. Buttons that are just that little bit too big for the buttonholes and take a while to undo. I still wear the trousers because they’re cute. But one does need to plan ahead shall we say. And I finally finished the jumper, you know the one that took a year? Grey. Lovely. And it will look the business with the pink..
(Mrs Duck)
(But you know that)
Anonymous said…
Now I’m off looking up Nora Batty.
KJ
Denise said…
Mrs Duck, your pink trousers sound marvellous! I am, as you can imagine, less thrilled about the grey jumper, but hurrah for completing it, nonetheless. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

KJ - did you find Nora Batty?? An iconic character from ‘The Last of the Summer Wine’ British TV series. Gosh, it seemed to go on forever. I used to watch it in the early days when Compo, Foggy and Clegg were the mainstays, but my interest dwindled as the years progressed. However, I did love all the no-nonsense Yorkshire women characters. Now, if THEY ruled the world…πŸ€”
Anonymous said…
I was on a business trip oop north a long time ago, and had time to kill, so I went to Holmfirth. As you would expect it is lovely and you can see (or could then) the cafe and Nora's oft brushed steps! Had to cross Saddleworth Moor to get to it though. Very bleak, especially on a winter's day. The ghost of Myra Hindley lives on.
(Mrs Duck)
Denise said…
Mrs Duck, you were telling a lovely story until the mention of the Moors. I’ve been to Yorkshire once - we stayed near Skipton, which I remember as being a rather nice town.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.