Skip to main content

Witchy New Year

 

Today is the celebration of Samhain, or New Year for us witchy types. This particular witchy type a.k.a moi has enjoyed a lovely day celebrating this festival. I have made soul cakes, and leek, potato and rosemary soup. I’ve had a long walk in Nature, spoiled only marginally by the presence of a lot of children and very bored looking adults, because it is half-term. Despite it being too peoply out there, the trees looked stunning in their Autumn colours and I was treated to a vibrant double rainbow for a brief while during a rain shower.

On the way home from our long walk, Nell and I called in at her favourite pet shop to purchase a new split antler because her old one has been reduced to a mere sliver. Nell has also been practising barking at sheep, which arrived in the field surrounding our house yesterday. I’ve told her she is to leave the sheep alone because she risks being shot at if she doesn’t. 

Once home, and replete with soup ‘n’ soul cakes, I set about doing myself a Tarot reading for the year ahead. When I first drew out the cards I was a bit underwhelmed but once I’d settled into the reading, they were pretty darned good. I’ve written everything down in a letter to myself to open next Samhain and see how accurate it was. The reading brought up several action points which I have been working on this afternoon. And I have set up my mini altar with photos of family who have passed into spirit because Samhain is also about honouring and remembering your ancestors and connecting with the lessons they taught. I’ve popped on a fresh candle, flowers and some crystals, and artfully arranged some fairy lights, and later this evening I shall have a little meditate and think on those people and their part in my life and making me who I am.

I have also set my intentions for the next year and tomorrow will work on an action plan of manifestation. It’s all go here!! 

What I haven’t done: been trick or treating, dressed up like a Hallowe’en pillock, scared anyone by jumping out on them and saying ‘Boo!’, watched any bloody massacre slasher films, or participated any of the other hideous stuff that is associated with Hallowe’en these days. I do not approve. It has nothing to do with the festival of Samhain. It is, in my mind, commercial, heavy on the plastic and wholly disrespectful. And if that makes me a miserable, party-pooping old hag, then so be it with knobs on.

Hallowe’en as a commercial enterprise wasn’t a ‘thing’ when I was growing up. Bonfire Night was the thing, on 5th November. Massive bonfire on the family farm, a few low key fireworks, baked potatoes and butter wrapped in tin foil, mugs of soup, sausages and onions, a toffee apple if you were lucky, and a bucket of water in which to drop your expired sparkler. Now THAT was more in keeping with Samhain. 

I think I’m getting too old for this modern day world…

Comments

Anonymous said…
I read an article that UK is using £1 billion on Halloween. The insanity has descended. What happened to the cost of living crisis?
Happy new year. May it be a good one.
KJ
Denise said…
That is truly insane, KJ, especially when you think what 1 billion pounds could fund in better ways. I truly do not understand it. And yes, it’s the sort of information that makes me doubt the whole ‘cost of living’ crisis, or at least the severity of it.
Anonymous said…
Sorry, I was a tad cynical there. I don’t doubt there are many, many people for whom the cost of living is hurting and yes, can you imagine the world of good that amount could do aimed at NHS or other needy organizations. I know NHS is not a charity I’m just playing with the number.
KJ
Denise said…
Not cynical - just honest. And I think the NHS wastes a lot of money and needs a jolly good organisational shake up.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.