Skip to main content

The Old-Fashioned Way

 Today, I left Facebook. And Instagram. I’ve been thinking about doing so for a while. In fact, I had got as far as deactivating both accounts, but only because I use Messenger quite a bit and if you delete rather than deactivate, then Messenger is deleted, too. 

Today, I deleted it. And goodness me, was that an effort! Facebook does not want you to leave. It takes grit, patience and determination to delete a Facebook account. You have to follow a tricky path through the incomprehensible layers of your account. It’s not a case of simply pressing a delete button, job done. Even now, I have 30 days remaining until the account is deleted properly, in case I change my mind. Pah! I’ve made a note in my diary to have a little Facebook divorce party on the 30th day.

I’ve had enough of social media. Or should that be ‘anti-social’ media? It seems to me it does more harm than good these days. But, because I have a handful of family and friends that I have Messenger chats with on a regular basis, I needed a replacement message service, so I joined WhatsApp. I used to be on WhatsApp two years ago, but left it because of a couple of, what shall I call them - snarky incidents. When I downloaded the app this morning it asked me if I wanted to retrieve my old conversations. Why would I want to do that? Dragging stuff up from the past is never a good thing. I declined that offer.

And then I set about contacting my nearest and dearest to let them know I was now only text, WhatsApp, telephone or letter writing contactable. Almost, but not quite, the old-fashioned way. I still have a couple of people to get hold of. My job for this evening. 

A friend phoned me immediately to ask if I was okay. I said I was, indeed, all ticketty-boo and hunky-dory. That I felt the need to draw the line under some bits of my life and to revamp how I was doing things. I no longer want to be involved in the whole social media culture. It is not me. The last two years have been rocky, but I see things differently now. My friend said she understood. She, too, has taken a step back from all that stuff. And then she went on to tell me a sweet story.

I’d sent her a letter a week or so ago. I do like letter writing. Always have. And she said, this friend, that the letter I’d sent her was sitting on her mantelpiece. And when her six year old granddaughter had visited, she had picked up the letter and said, ‘What’s this, Nan?’

‘It’s a letter,’ said my friend, and she explained to her granddaughter what a letter was, and what it all entailed, this letter-writing malarkey. She said her granddaughter was absolutely fascinated and very excited by the whole concept that you could communicate with someone without using a computer or mobile phone. And that when a visitor came to the house, she took them to the mantelpiece to show them the letter and said, ‘Look! This is a letter!’

Well! How lovely. And yet how sad. That there’s a whole generation of children who have no concept of old-fashioned letter writing, who have never seen or received a letter through the post. I said to my friend, ‘Shall I write her a letter, so she can have her own?’ And my friend said, yes, that would be a lovely thing to do and that her granddaughter would be very excited to receive her own letter. And so, this afternoon, I did.

It was a couple of pages of waffle about Nell, gardening and Peter Rabbit, on notepaper printed with little birds. I put the letter inside another envelope, along with a note to my friend. I left the letter unsealed so my friend could read it first if she wanted to. It will be up to her if she wants to pass it on to her granddaughter. Sadly, as an ex-teacher who has sat through much training, I am too well-aware of the whole safe-guarding issues that govern our society these days. 

But it felt like a nice thing to do. Perhaps the granddaughter will be inspired to start letter-writing herself? Find a couple of pen-friends, as I did when I was a child. Write to elderly relatives, or friends she meets on holidays? Or just write for the sheer fun of it, because letter writing is a fine form of communication. And the rush of joy I get when I receive a handwritten envelope through the post will never leave me. It’s a pity that letter-writing is, it seems, becoming a dying art.




Comments

Anonymous said…
These days I stick with emails. I did have a couple pen pal as a kid but found it difficult to come up with anything interesting. I have now found that what is perhaps mundane actually isn’t. Thinking more about it. Those pen pals correspondence were in English! What was I thinking back then!? No doubt spending more time in the dictionary than writing the letters. It was doomed from the beginning. My daughter and her friend did start up writing letters one summer but I think the friendship fizzled out a bit.
KJ
Denise said…
I’ve just spent a pleasant hour on Etsy seeking out some new writing paper, KJ. There’s some lovely choices out there!
Anonymous said…
Are you still on email? I shall miss our Messenger chats but I do quite understand. It’s all got very tedious and these days my Facebook feed is 80% ads. I am still on Twitter for news and information but as most of the serious folk are leaving in droves it too is becoming ever more worthless.
Your comment about rejoining What’s App is interesting. Presumably that’s how we get Boris’s old ‘lost’ conversations back??
(Mrs Duck)
Denise said…
I am still on email, Mrs Duck. I hung on to Facebook because of Messenger but even though I had deactivated my account in order to keep Messenger, after a few weeks Facebook seemed to reactivate itself, which I found sinister. I can manage just as well with WhatsApp. And yes, despite previously leaving WhatsApp, clearly the conversations are somehow archived. However, because I declined to have them reinstated, I wonder if they have now been deleted or if they are still floating in the ether indefinitely? Boris has nowhere to hide, if that’s the case.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.