Skip to main content

Shabby Chic

 Clipping by stealth seems to be the order of the day now we’ve decided to tackle Nell’s grooming regime ourselves. A few days ago, for example, I had a little go with the scissors around her face and by the time I’d finished, she could see where she was going and her ears were a little shorter, as was the fur on the top of her head, which was rather like trimming a pompom. I’m an old hand at trimming pompoms (from my arty crafty days) - just not pompoms that wriggle and jiggle around. I also managed to trim her nose fur, although somewhat unevenly. Sort of a rustic look.

A couple of days later, we stood her on her grooming table (pink) and used the clippers with the longest clipper guard to go over her body. That was okay. We bribed her with a variety of doggy biscuit treats and all was well. 

And this morning, we had a go with the shorter blades on the clippers and secured enough excess fur so that I could, if I was inclined (which I am not), spin and knit into a set of egg cosies. I have to say though, at one point Andy did say, ‘Oops!’ which roughly translates into ‘and now she’s got a bit of a divot of fur missing from the top of her back left leg’ but hey - it’s nothing that can’t be disguised by a trendy pair of culottes. And the nice thing about fur is that it does grow back. But then if her fur didn’t grow back we wouldn’t be in this débâcle in the first place. Honestly, we were never going to win.

She had a full on wash ‘n’ blow dry, too, which went okay. You know those TV ads for carpet cleaners when they empty the water tank at the end and everyone goes ‘Eurgh’? It was a bit like that. At least she smells better now and she’s stopped barking at the hair dryer. 

This afternoon, she and I were relaxing up the garden in the sunshine. Nell was playing with one of her chewy toys and I was casually sniping at her, hither and thither, with a pair of cunningly concealed scissors. Just tidying up some straggly bits, like you do. She was looking at me as if to say, ‘I know EXACTLY what you are doing but for this moment in time I am finding my chewy toy more interesting. Next time, you might not be so lucky.’ 

I reckon on having one more mini grooming session later this week so she looks a bit more chic than shabby, but all in all, for a first attempt from a couple of amateurs who have minuscule knowledge of clipping a cockapoo, we’ve done all right. Things can only get better. I just need to stock up on some more doggy biscuit treats because she went through a lot of cheese this morning, which isn’t good for her, regardless of how much elle adore le fromage.

And most importantly - we didn’t draw any blood. 

Here she is, fast asleep, quite exhausted by the experience of having a wash, cut ‘n’ blow dry. Can you see her incredibly long ginger eyelashes? I’m making sure to keep those intact. They are really quite adorable! 




Comments

Anonymous said…
She is adorable. I’m dreading giving our dog a wash. He needs it badly and he is fine going the session but the entire bathroom will need an overhaul when we are done and that I’m not sure I have it in me for.
KJ
Anonymous said…
Well done. She looks very relaxed in her new ‘do’.
Coincidentally I was watching a programme last night which featured a segment on brown bears. Apparently they can run at 60 km per hour (37 mph). So you’ll need a bit more than go fast smalls if you’re going to avoid one. More like a jet pack..
Anonymous said…
(Mrs Duck)
Denise said…
KJ, Nell loves water but generally on her own terms which don’t include shampoo and having to stand still. But she was okay when she realised it was two against one! Cockapoos need bathing every couple of months because of their woolly fur. I’m sure she’ll get used to it eventually! Gird yourself, woman - tackle that dog!

Mrs Duck, brown bears do run faster than I can manage BUT the bears round these parts are considerably smaller, wear duffle coats and stop at regularly intervals during their pursuit for the partaking of marmalade sandwiches. I reckon I can outwit that kind of bear…🤔😂

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.