Skip to main content

Jenny Eclair - Ffs

 


Went to see Jenny Eclair on tour at the Theatre Severn in Shrewsbury on Sunday evening. Heather came with me, and we had a lovely posh Italian dinner before heading to the theatre. I’ve recently read, ‘Still Life’ by Sarah Winman (cracking story) which is set mostly in Italy, and by the time I’d finished it, I had the urge to download the DuoLingo app and learn Italian. I rather fancy to flounce around, ranting in Italian. I think it’s a language that lends itself well to a good rant. Learning a language in late middle age is supposed to be good for keeping the old brain cells lubricated and firing, too. Really, it all depends on whether I can be arsed. 

Now, I listen to Jenny Eclair’s podcast ‘Older and Wider’ which she shares with producer/editor/writer Judith Holder. I think Judith is only there to provide a raucous cackling backing track for Jenny’s maniacal running banter, because Jenny is very much centre of the podcast content. And if the content strays towards Judith, Jenny makes a huge and not very subtle effort to get the spotlight back on her. Just my observation as a listening M.O.P (member of the public). It’s an enjoyable listen, nonetheless, although for  obvious Tory-loathing folk, they do bang on about Waitrose, John Lewis and Marks and Spencer an awful lot. 

Jenny Eclair swears copiously during her podcast. I’ve never really been much of a swearer, and when I do catch myself letting one slip, as it were, I always tell myself off for sounding like a common fishwife. But swearing is very much part of Jenny’s modus conversationai (I made up that word) and I just try to filter it away from my delicate lady ears. In her stand-up show, she swears even more. 

She is VERY funny, of course. The theatre was one cackling giggle-fest from start to finish. Jenny doesn’t care what she says, how she says it, and if she ever had a verbal decency filter, it broke a long, long time ago. There are a lot of bodily functions observations, and if I’d seen a written script of the show beforehand I’d probably have thought, ‘I’m not going to see THAT filth!’ But the written word doesn’t convey the wit, or performance skill, of the woman, so if you fancy an evening of bawdy, filthy truth-telling about what it’s like to be a woman in her sixties, then go, enjoy and laugh. 

(She did tell a ranty joke about Ann Widdecombe which I thought was below the belt and unnecessary. I didn’t laugh at that because I happen to like Ann Widdecombe, whom I’ve also seen on tour and who was witty, intelligent, charming, utterly hilarious and did not make any below-the-belt jokes about anyone. But, like I said, Eclair clearly hates Tory folk and she is entitled to her opinion. As are we all.)

To even up the cultural balance, my next trip to the theatre will be to see a ballet. My local arts centre is good at showing various National Theatre Live productions and there’s a run of ballet performances  coming up over the next few months. No danger of excessive swearing with a ballet. Just a load of blokes in very tight tights flashing their nethers around. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for making me laugh! I’ll look up that podcast. Although the more swear words the harder it is for me to decipher the content, having grown up in a non-English speaking country. I’m with you although not shy to let one slip once in a while. There are times where that’s the only word that fits.
KJ
Denise said…
I’m glad I raised a laugh! Nice to know I haven’t lost the touch.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.