Skip to main content

Fashion Matters

 Do you ever wear a jegging? A jegging is a cross between a jean and a legging. Jegging. See what they did there? I had a couple of pairs of jeggings, because I was seduced into buying them in a sale. They’re all very well as an item of snug clothing when you pull them on in the mornings, but they’re a different war against fashion when you’re trying to take them off at night after a long and wearisome day and you find you can’t get your foot to fit back up the leg without one hell of a (sometimes tearful) struggle. 

The thing is, as you grow older in years and wisdom, you find you cannot be bothered with certain items of fashion. For example, I gave up wearing any sort of shoe or boot with a heel over two inches high about 5 years ago now. And two inches is a challenge, to be honest. And pants? What I want is a pair of full ‘n’ comfy plain cotton knickers, not some little scanty bit of synthetic fabric nothing that rides up where the sun doesn’t shine and chafes where the sun does. The function of a pant is to keep everything from navel to thigh contained, secure and as smooth as possible. Not to act as a piece of abstract artwork.

Currently, I am having trouble finding a nice woollen jumper, either boat or v-neck, that covers my bum and doesn’t cling remorselessly to my post-menopausal rib-padding. There are plenty of cowl necks and turtle necks and polo necks to be had but when one is a lady of ample bosomage, these neck lines are a no-no unless you want to project the matronly bolstered look. 

Also, what’s with all the shirts and tunics with the roll up sleeves that are held in place by a button and strap contraption just below the elbows? These things: 

Either you want a long sleeve shirt, or a short sleeve shirt. Surely? I’ve had a couple of these shirts-that-can’t-make-up-their-minds and what I’ve ended up doing is cutting off the button and the strap and wearing them either long-sleeved OR cutting off the bottom of the sleeve and wearing them as a short sleeve. Depending on style, colour, season etc etc, you get my gist. I can’t be doing with the half way look. They’re a sod to iron and they never fold up again properly. And they add unnecessary bulk to the upper arm/elbow area. Just no. 

Don’t get me started on bras.

And what brought on this fashion rant, I hear you ask? I’ll tell you - the news websites have been littered with photos of celebrities sitting in the front rows of all the designer fashion shows that are happening at the moment and I have to say, in my opinion, they mostly look ridiculous. (Of course, maybe I am just jealous of their tall, willowy, would-look-good-in-a-bin-bag figures, and the fact they can afford to pay in excess of £700 for a skirt that looks more like a belt. Who knows?)

Follower of fashion I ain’t. Give me comfy, colourful, natural fabrics any day. If ever I am chased by a bear, I want a good chance of being able to get away! 


Comments

Anonymous said…
How many bears are there in Shropshire?
(Mrs Duck)
Denise said…
At least three. And one of them has a surprising turn of speed…
Anonymous said…
Hahaha, my thought exactly, Mrs Duck!
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.