Skip to main content

Back Track

 Sometimes you have to try things to see if they work. And the point comes when you realise they don’t work and you backtrack and end up on familiar ground again which makes you feel all cosy and warm, like you’ve come home after a particularly bumpy journey. That’s what’s been happening. And that is why I am returned to ‘Oh, My Days!’ If anyone is still here…they might not be…in which case I am shouting into the lone void. But it’ll be a lone void that keeps me entertained. And I’ll be able to say what I like because I shan’t be offended.

Anyway, last Wednesday his Lordship Malarkey and I took Nellibobs the Cockapoo to the Pets At Home Groom Room for an all over spruce up and full clip. Now she has her adult coat we need to have her clipped every 8-10 weeks or she’ll turn into a felted door mat of a creature, which won’t be nice at all. We dropped her off at lunchtime for her 2 hour appointment, and hied ourselves off for a spot of lunch. So far, so good.

Half an hour later, we received a phone call from The Groom Room, saying ever so sorry but they’d cut her leg with the clippers and were taking her to the vet to be treated. 

What??? Well, we shot off back to The Groom Room (shit name, by the way) and there was our little Nell, very agitated, partially clipped (she looked like a scabby Victorian child newly shaved because it had lice), a stapled inch-long cut to her right foreleg (not even the baggy underarm area which I thought was where they’d nicked her) and wearing a buster collar. As you can imagine, I was tight-lipped livid. 


(There were two staples in situ when we collected Nell. She removed one herself.)

The staff explained what they’d done. Not how they’d managed to maim my dog - I can only imagine gross incompetence - but what happened at the vet’s. ‘You’ll need to bring her back in 10 days to have the staples removed,’ they said. Andy said, ‘I’m a vet - I’ll take them out.’ ‘Oh,’ they said. ‘Well, that’s handy. That’ll save you a journey.’ They went on to say they wouldn’t charge us for the appointment - obvs - and would we like to rebook for a fortnight’s time to complete her clip? (Because they couldn’t do it now because she had an open wound. Which they inflicted.) What??? So they could have a go at maiming her other leg? I declined their offer and swept from the building in a manner that suggested I was most displeased with the whole episode because I bloody well was. 

And when we got home, I purchased a set of dog clippers, a portable grooming table, various combs, detangle brushes, scissors and shampoos, because I am going to learn to manage Nell’s coat myself. I just can’t bring myself to trust anyone else with her at the moment and, let’s be honest, I can’t make more of a pig’s ear of the job than Pets At Home Groom Room, can I? I’ve been watching YouTube videos on the process and taking advice from dedicated cockapoo websites. It won’t be easy, but it will be doable. And it will be a process that grows easier with time and practise.

The initial cost of the equipment I bought will pay for itself within six months.The Groom Room wanted £53 for their (shoddy) service. I requested they refund the £15 deposit, in a manner that dared them to disagree, which they have processed but which hasn’t yet appeared back in our bank account, so I’ll need to keep an eye open to make sure it does. They’ve scarred my Nell for life. Disgraceful. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well firstly, welcome home.
I’m sorry to hear about Nell and am once more relieved, on behalf of all your menagerie (past and present), that you have a full time resident vet.
Good luck with the grooming. Of course, there must be a photo call. But how hard can it be? You tube is excellent in this regard and I’m sure you’ll do a much better job than me on my own back-of-the-head layers. Not enough hands you see.. hair, scissors, mirror. Does not compute!
(Mrs Duck)
Anonymous said…
Poor Nell, I hope you enjoy doing the grooming in the future. Glad your back blogging


Denise said…
Mrs Duck, from my dog grooming research the biggest message seems to be ‘Keep Calm and Carry On.’ And Nell has a lovely red raincoat she can wear if we need to go out in public and the first attempt goes a bit awry!

Thanks, Anonymous. Turns out you can’t keep a long-time blogging habit down. I’m immersed in novel writing, but the blog is good for short, sharp writing episodes.
Anonymous said…
Yah! Glad to see you back!
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.