Skip to main content

Websites and Woses

 I grew up a Kentish Maid, and now I’m a Shropshire Lass. This is also a Shropshire Lass…


One of three climbing roses we planted in a new border two years ago. The first year they were little more than a bunch of twigs, and last year they started to sprawl everywhere but no blooms, and I was a bit concerned they might not be happy where they were. But this year! This year, as Elvis Costello sang, has been a good year for the roses! The other two ramblers - Rambling Rector and A.N Other I can’t remember and am too lazy in this heat to go and track down the plant labels to find out, are also flowering well (Paul’s Himalayan Musk is ringing a bell, though…). As is ‘The Lady of the Lake’ I planted next to the archway leading into the orchard. In fact, The Lady of the Lake is doing so well, she nearly took my eye out this morning when Nell and I were playing a game of ‘Run and Boo!’ in and out of the hornbeam hedging. The assortment of roses we inherited when we moved here are also going berserk and are a joy to see and smell. 

Today, I have been website wrangling for ‘Hallo Tarot!’ I have secured the domain name, because the Law of Sod says that if I didn’t, some other blighter would nab it and then I’d have to put up with a web address that wasn’t spot on, and this would irk me enormously. Probably to the point where I’d have to think of a new business name altogether which a) would render my business cards, blog and email address useless AND b) upset my spirit companions gang because they gave me the name in the first place. 

That was all done yesterday in a flurry of ‘don’t think about it, just do it’ activity. Today has been all about finding the right website template. 

This has entailed me sorting my site content into some semblance of order, which I did fairly swiftly because I am organised by nature. And then deciding on the look of the website based on how I want to present both myself and what I am going to do. For this, I read a huge article or five on how to brand oneself. (No, nothing to do with hot irons and Ranch X being stamped on my arse, before you ask…get a grip, please.) I used an extra large sketch book that I’ve had kicking around for years, and drew lots of plans with arrows going hither and thither, and I wrote answers to nearly all the branding prompt questions I could find except the ones I didn’t understand or that seemed superfluous. (Some of them seemed to think I’d done some kind of market research before even thinking about building a website! Ahahahahahahahaha!)

And then I had to stop because Pete the Chimney Sweep a.k.a Father Christmas appeared to sweep the Damson Cottage wood burner and renew its annual safety certificate. 

And then I went back to business, scrolling through the literally hundreds of templates to be had. Some of them were dire, flat, bland and dull, dull, dull, and an immediate no-no. Some moved around way too much and made me feel nauseous. I didn’t think it a wise business move to feel nauseated by one’s own website. Some didn’t have the features I wanted. Some had too many features. I was working outside, and every now and again, I got up and wandered around the garden, and lay on the grass until Nell jumped on my head. And I stared across the fields and let ideas waft around, and then I returned to my notebook and scribbled everything down, even if it seemed a bit peculiar or irrelevant. 

By the end of the day, I had chosen four potential templates AND clarified a lot uncertainties. This is good. I don’t feel so panicked now. I have a Proper Plan and a Serious Amount of Writing to Do. I shall let  everything simmer overnight and know that when I mount my second attack at the Battle of the Website, all shall become clear and I shall triumph! 

Also, I think it’s a good sign that where I had been daunted by building a website before, now I feel rather excited by it all! I shall leave you with the latest photos of the baby swallows and the wise words of Johann Goethe : ‘Whatever you do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it.’

(Of course, he never had to build a website…)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.