Skip to main content

Nell, the Driveway, the Car and the Blackbird (a particularly bad film title)

 Nell is doing well following her spay operation. She is still clacking around in her buster collar, having accepted it as a new fashion accessory and weapon of destruction. Her surgery wound looks neat and clean and she has her energy back, although she is still careful when climbing on and off the sofa. Yesterday, I attached her to her long lead which is fixed to the washing line, so she could pootle around the garden as she was clearly growing bored with having to walk around attached to me by her lead. 

The landscape surveyor appeared yesterday morning to make final measurements and undertake other important landscape stuff prior to us having our driveway block paved and the new fencing and gates installed. He was a nice chap - told me lots about his rescue Staffies. Hopefully, the work will start sometime in July. It will be disruptive for around a week but then these major building things usually are. But I am braced and ready, and keep telling myself it will look lovely when it’s completed and also save me a lot of weeding hours. Our wonderful neighbours have said we can park on their driveway for the duration. I think Don is secretly excited about being entertained by all the machinery and building work that will be going on. 

Andy is enjoying his new car! He says the best thing about it so far is he can get Radio 4 Extra on the radio. We had to go and see a solicitor today (for good reasons - nothing sinister!) and it’s the first time I’ve been out for a drive in it. It is a good car! Very roomy and comfy. The old one was beginning to make me feel like there was a danger the bottom could drop out of it at any moment. 

It was the Summer Solstice yesterday and for the first time in three years it didn’t rain on the day! I was able, then, to sit in the garden in the afternoon at the time of the actual Solstice moment (3.58 p.m) and do a little Solstice meditation, and think about what I hope to achieve in the next six months.

As I sat in the shade of a tree, with Nell under the chair chewing goodness knows what, probably a brick, a blackbird suddenly appeared and landed on the table next to me, less than 2 feet away! It cocked its head, and looked at me with its bright and beady yellow eye, then flew away, in a rather casual manner for a blackbird, up into the tree, where it sat and sang for a while as I continued my meditation. 

Well! I took this as a sign, because generally the blackbirds in our garden scoot off in alarm if you walk within 30 feet of them. Curiosity piqued, I had a look up regarding the symbolism of blackbirds. 

Apparently, a close encounter with a blackbird is a significant symbol for those on a spiritual pathway, a reminder to trust each day and know that each decision made will give more insight into the meaning of our existence and the paths we choose to take. It is thought that the blackbird is a bridge between the physical and spiritual worlds, and a bringer of change and new beginnings. It is a reminder to pay attention to our intuition. Also, and this resonated especially with me, the blackbird is associated with Morgan Le Fay, sorceress and half-sister of King Arthur. I was obsessed with Morgan Le Fay when I was a teenager. Finally, the blackbird is a reminder that you have the power to create your own destiny, which links directly with the message of the Tarot! 

Well, I thought. I’ll take that! Thank you, Mr Blackbird. Message received and understood. 

Finally, there is a Tarot card called The Hermit. This, then, made me laugh…





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.