Skip to main content

Filling Time

Free? Free????I’m still reeling from the shock of the bill I received from the dentist this week for the replacement of a broken back tooth filling. Yes, I am with a private dental practice because NHS dentists around these parts are rare as hens’ teeth. Yes, it was a composite white filling as opposed to the usual grey amalgam filling (not that I was given a choice, I might add) and yes, my dentist did an efficient, pain-free job. But still.

£125 !?!?!???!!!!

I was in there for 20 minutes. Sheesh. 

But what can one do? Even registering with a private dentist is tricky these days, so I need to hang on to my place at this practice. I’ve been attending since we moved to Shropshire, so seven years in total. I dare not miss an appointment in case they strike me off and I can’t register anywhere else, and have to resort to self-dentistry using pliers, chisels, chewing gum and gravel. I suppose I am fortunate that my teeth are pretty good for my age. Touch wood. 

Andy took delivery of his new car on Thursday. That was a bit of a faff. His appointment was for 10 a.m. They reckoned, despite what the paperwork said, that it was 10.15. Anyway, we arrived at 10.05, and after letting Nell stretch her legs in the car park for a while, she and I set off home. A couple of messages from Lord Malarkey ensued:

‘The V5 paperwork is at their office in Telford,’ (he was in Shrewsbury, about half an hour away) ‘so someone has gone to fetch it. I may be later home than expected.’

‘Now we have to go to the post office to tax it. Something to do with the previous owner being disabled?’

Therefore, a hand over job that should have taken about 20 minutes, lasted almost an hour and a half! Honestly, the administrative incompetence of some businesses continues to astound me. 

It’s a good car, though. Roomier than the Citroen and with more gadgets. Bigger boot space. Roof bars AND a tow bar! I suppose now we’ll have to find something to tow. And despite being just under three years old it even smells of new car. However, my theory is that car salesmen have in their armoury a can of ‘New Car Fresh’ spray which they apply liberally during the valeting process. Perhaps inhaling it hampers their basic admin skills. Who knows? All that remains now is to get rid of the old car. Andy has an appointment with a well-known car purchase company who claim to buy any car. I suspect they give you a price on-line to reel you in, then take a look at your car in person, pull a face and immediately reduce their offer by at least 30%. How some companies can live with themselves using these nefarious tactics I do not know. Or maybe I’m just being cynical. (Ha!)

I’m still filling most of my time working on the new website. I have two templates to try out, but honestly, I can’t keep over-thinking this process or I’ll achieve sweet diddly fluff. As Andy very wisely keeps telling me, it’s the content and the service that counts! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.