Skip to main content

Time Flies Like the Wind (Fruit Flies Like Bananas)

 Have you read this book? Andy has. I haven’t. Oliver Burkeman, the author, used to write for the Guardian newspaper, a publication that makes me feel nauseous for many, many reasons. Ergo, Burkeman is equally guilty of the sick-making by association. Anyway, he wrote this…


It’s all about managing your life time based on the guess that the average person lives around 4000 weeks. When you put it like that, it doesn’t sound very long, does it? That, I am surmising is the idea. Our time on Earth is but fleeting - don’t waste it by doing numpty things. But, as I say, I’ve not read the book. I’m just making wild assumptions as to the purpose of it based on my own anti-Guardian newspaper type prejudices. 

I wonder how many weeks I’ve lived so far, thought I. So I checked, out of curiosity. Reader, in two days’ time I shall be 3,000 weeks old exactly!! That, apparently, means I am three quarters of my way through my allotted 4,000 weeks. Crikey blimey oh heck! Actually, I thought this news would be a bit of a leveller, but it turns out it isn’t. That’s because I am of the belief that you can only live one day at a time and hopefully, you try to make the best of each day as it comes. And if you don’t for some reason - like maybe someone REALLY hacks you off, or your scrambled eggs glue themselves to the bottom of the cooking pan and it all sends you into a grumpy tizz, then you wrap up the end of the day with finding something to be grateful for (at least you had eggs, at least you aren’t that idiot person) and you can start again on the morrow. Providing you wake in the morning. And if you don’t, well, you won’t know anyway, until you realise you are floating around with the lovely angels. Am I drifting? Back on track, then. Or not.

Today is National Purebred Dog Day. Nell scoffs at this. She is a cockapoo (Cockerpoo? Who knows? Who cares?) which in olden days terms means she is a cross-breed, a good mix of genes and less likely to have health problems. But nowadays it also means she is a designer dog. Ridiculous. What’s the difference between a cross-breed and a designer dog? The purchase price, that’s the difference. Ah, but what price can you put on a constant supply of muddy footprints, having your hand used as a teething ring and being constantly under siege to the demands of a ball of puppy fluff, eh? Don’t answer that. 

It is also Chocolate Parfait Day. I shall ignore this. Parfait, schmarfait. I am baking a chocolate chip and banana cake instead. Visitors for lunch, don’t you know. It’s a good cake for visitors.

 It is International Workers’ Day, which is ironic given it is a) the May Day Bank Holiday and 2) the country is steeped in strikes so barely anyone is working anyway. It is Global Love Day - good luck with THAT one. 

But best of all it is Mother Goose Day! This is a celebration going back to the late 1980s to celebrate the good old fairy tale. Hurrah! I love a fairy tale. I love writing a fairy tale. One of my half-completed novels has a fairy in it. Only I spell it ‘faery’ because it’s more sinister. She’s a naughty faery. (N.B Spellcheck doesn’t like the word ‘faery.’ It has already tried to change it to ‘fairy’ and, bizarrely, ‘fakery.’ I hate spellcheck.) I should finish writing that novel before I buy a novel which is remarkably similar to MY idea and I become really annoyed I didn’t get there first because of my insane habit of procrastination. Why do I procrastinate anyway, if I’m living for the day? That makes no sense at all, and I’ve only just realised that! Blimey, barely 10 a.m and I’ve had an epiphany.

Onwards, then! Crack on to the end of my 3000th week! Bring on the next 1000!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.