Skip to main content

More of the Tooth, and Not So Toothsome

 According to Vet Andy, Nell now appears to have her full complement of adult teeth. He gave her a check up after I found a baby back tooth she’d be clacking around the floor this morning. I swapped it for a piece of sausage, which I think she thought was a fair exchange. I now have three of her baby teeth which I shall probably keep for a while (in a fit of sentimentality) and then think, ‘Why on EARTH am I keeping these manky things?’ and bin them (because I am not a sentimental person). Yesterday evening, Nell was going absolutely berserk so perhaps a very wobbly tooth might have been the reason. Vet Andy says she now has no excuse for going berserk as her baby teeth have all popped out. And that is the tooth. 

Every now and again I buy something exotic from the supermarket. I then put it in the kitchen cupboards, forget about it, find it again when I give the kitchen cupboards a tidy out, and then decide to try it, usually whilst trying to remember what triggered me to buy it in the first place. Today, it was capers. These are capers…


They are the immature and unripened green flower buds of the caper bush ‘Capparis spinosa’ and are either dried or brined. You can create something similar using the seed pods of nasturtiums. The ones I had bought, probably to use in some interesting but long forgotten Mediterranean recipe I took a fancy to, were brined. I opened the jar. They looked like manky little pickled peas. I like peas. I tried one. I offered one to Andy, which he declined, probably because of the look on my face. 

‘How are they?’ said he.
‘Different,’ said I. ‘Very salty.’ 

I’m not a great fan of salty stuff. Still, I stirred some into the bowl of salad I had made myself for lunch and gamely ate the salad. All the while I was thinking, ‘These remind me of something,’ but I couldn’t think what. And ‘I’ll maybe have a bit of homemade ginger cake next, just to take away the taste.’ I put the opened jar of capers in the fridge along with other recently discovered treasures: harissa paste and sun-dried tomatoes in oil. It’s only a small jar, I thought. I’ll probably work my way through them eventually. Perhaps if I rinse them, they won’t be so salty. Perhaps I can disguise them with another ingredient, like I have to disguise all vegetables for Andy.

I’ve just realised what it is capers taste like. Green olives. 

I can’t stand olives. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
I can’t stand brined capers either, sadly Himself loves them. Until one day I was presented with a recipe that required the capers to be fried in butter. So, for the sake of harmony, I agreed to try it. And it is delicious. The texture of the capers changes to crunchy, making all the difference. You could I guess even strain out the offending solids and just have the flavoured melted butter. In our recipe it was drizzled over fish, but whatever. If you really feel compelled to finish the jar.. try it!
(Mrs Duck)
Denise said…
Thank you for your handy caper tip, Mrs Duck! Frying anything in butter is sure to improve it. I shall most definitely try this out with the rest of the jar.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.