Skip to main content

Marvellous!

 

I enjoyed the Coronation of King Charles and Queen Camilla very much indeed. Things I especially enjoyed were, in no particular order:

1) the musical interludes from Bryn Terfel and the gospel choir. I thought the one composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber was a bit ‘jazz hands’. 

2) Penny Mordaunt carrying out her duty with aplomb, class and wearing a jolly nice outfit. What a star! 

3) views of Prince Harry being obscured by the jaunty red feather in Princess Anne’s military hat. I wondered if he’d been deliberately sat behind Princess Anne. I bet she has the hearing of a bat and if he said anything out of line, she’d have whipped around and stunned him into silence with her laser stare

4) the heartfelt interaction between King Charles and Prince William. Very moving. 

5) the young chorister welcoming King Charles to the Abbey. If the young chap was at all nervous he didn’t show it. 

6) Queen Camilla tucking bits of stray hair up into her crown. And cracking a smile when everyone else was so serious.

7) the delightful children of the Prince and Princess of Wales. George carrying his grandfathers cloak, Charlotte showing interest and composure way above her eight years, and Louis having a ball in the coach and horses afterwards.

8) the parade back to Buckingham Palace and the three cheers from all the service men and women in the Palace gardens. Quite magnificent, especially the mounted band. How they manage to play instruments whilst riding bumpy horses without getting their teeth knocked, I do not know. 

9) the shiny, sparkly stuff and the lovely costumes and outfits, and the beautifully embroidered screen that surrounded the King for his anointing. Theatre at its grandest.

10) pretty much all of it, actually

I found the Archbishop of Canterbury to be tedious but that’s a long term and on-going thing, and Rishi Sunak sounded like an AI robot reading the lesson.  In my head, I was shouting ‘Intonate, Mr Sunak. Intonate.’ Perhaps he IS an AI robot. Blimey, hadn’t thought of that one until now. Anyway, it was all rather touching and joyful. 

I shall watch the Coronation Concert this evening. Today, I have been cleaning the kitchen, gardening and arsing around with Nell. I’m tackling a specific garden boundary which needs a new fence, especially now we are Responsible Dog Parents. The current ‘fence’ is a mish-mash of rotting fence posts, weird trellis, wire mesh, barbed wire, brambles, nettles and cow parsley. It sounds worse than it looks because in summer the fence can’t be seen for all the greenery. But it looks grim without the greenery and it is becoming increasingly unsafe. Plus, who likes barbed wire? It also looks more obviously grim now one of the apple trees isn’t there to disguise it. So I’ve been employing the wire cutters today (very effective!) and trying to take out bits of rotten wood fencing (not very effective). 

Cup of tea and scone time, I think! I’ve had to stop gardening because Nell was becoming overwrought with the thrill of it all, so she’s now having a snooze with her ears inside out. Inside out dog ears make me shudder, but I dare not turn them the right way in because she will wake. It’s a fine doggy parenting line I walk. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.