Skip to main content

Lost

 


I don’t often have horrible dreams but I did last night. I dreamt I was still a teacher. It was late at night and there was a meeting I was supposed to be at. I could hear voices at the meeting, but I couldn’t find where it was happening. I walked around for a bit, not recognising the school I was working in at all, except bits of it looked like my childhood grammar school, all wood panelling and smelling of polish and formaldehyde. 

I asked a janitor chap if he knew where my classroom was. He said, ‘I’ll go and check in the mechanics room,’ (???) and I waited for a while but he never came back. I thought, ‘I can find the mechanics room,’ but I couldn’t. Eventually, I found my classroom, but someone else was in there with a bunch of ankle biter primary children, and when I opened my usually neat and organised filing cabinet, it had been filled it with a load of tat. The interloper teacher carried on teaching (when I say ‘teaching’ it looked more like arsing around with crayons and dressing up stuff) whilst I tried to find my planner, laptop and files. I found them by a small sofa, next to which stood a vacuum cleaner which the teacher, who had moved into my classroom, told me to take with me when I left. 

In the corridors I looked at my planner. It was now early in the morning - just before dawn - and my planner was missing my timetable so I didn’t know which class I was supposed to be teaching. I didn’t even know if it was Week 1 or Week 2 in the timetable rotation. The planner was full of meetings that had, apparently, been planned months in advance but of which I had no recollection. Some of them were identified by abbreviations and initials. One of them relied on me having analysed some ‘A.D.S’ data to present to my colleagues. I had no idea was this was but it was happening on 12th October. 

Suddenly, I found myself outside on what seemed to be a university/ college campus. The sun was just coming up and I didn’t have a clue where I was. I asked a couple of people. One shrugged and said they were too busy cooking breakfasts to help, and the other suggested I Google-mapped the class where I was supposed to be. I said, ‘How can I google map my class if I don’t know which one it is?’ And she said, ‘Just open the image of the World and zoom in until you find it.’ At that moment, Prince Harry arrived in a large car and everyone was shouting, ‘Look! Prince Harry!’ and I said, ‘I don’t care, I need to find my class.’

I wandered around for a while, and the day seemed to pass really quickly. It felt like being in a school, but without the atmosphere of purpose and learning. I was aware I was missing classes and was worried that my colleagues were having to cover for me because I wasn’t there. But I didn’t know how to get ‘there’, wherever ‘there’ was. In the end I thought, ‘It’s all too late now. If I wander off, no one will miss me and everything will still be okay, anyway.’ 

And then I woke up because Nell was fidgeting downstairs, and I took her into the garden and she did a phenomenally enormous poo. 

What was all THAT about, then? The horrid dream, not the poo. 

I haven’t been inside a classroom for almost four years. Could it be that I have, briefly, thought about applying for a tutoring or supply job because I am feeling anxious about not being in paid employment? Could it be that I’ve been writing a scheme of work and lesson plans in order to teach Tarot? Could it be I am, and always have been, scared of being lost and somewhere I don’t know? Could it be that the mild mannered janitor was really Hong Kong Phooey??


Answers on a postcard, please…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.