Skip to main content

Dear Policy ‘Expert’

 

Dear Policy ‘Expert’,

Thank you for sending the renewal notice for my home and contents insurance on 22nd April. I have since searched for comparable policies on Compare the Meerkat and Go Compère Opera Singer Guy and you will be pleased to know your renewal quote (despite being almost £20 more expensive than last year which, in percentage terms amounts to just over 20% which, quite frankly, is appalling) is still one of the cheapest and I shall be renewing with you for another year. The policy is due for renewal on 23rd May which is still almost two weeks away.

Despite the policy renewal date being almost the end of May, you sent an email a week after sending the renewal email, urging me to renew immediately. I binned the email because I am obtuse about these things and you aren’t getting the payment until it is actually due. I’m not swelling your coffers so you can earn interest on my money. Then, a couple of days later, you telephoned at 6.50 IN THE EVENING FFS to discuss renewing my policy. 

Well! I was polite, but with a bit of an edge because I can be like that sometimes. Not often. But sometimes. I said that I WOULD be renewing but as the policy wasn’t expiring for another three weeks, I would do it nearer the date, thank you and goodbye. And no thank you, I didn’t need your help or someone to call me back later to help me negotiate the tricky business of paying for something online or over the phone. I’m 57, not 97. I understand Internet banking. Also, you sounded like a really young person - shouldn’t you have been pre-loading to go out clubbing or something? Maybe you were. Maybe that’s why you were pestering people in their homes about renewing their insurance policies. It’s the sort of thing only rat-arsed people would do. Surely? 

A week later, another email arrived urging me to renew. I binned that one, too, because now I was thinking about the environmental impact of sending TOO many emails. Shame on you, Policy ‘Expert’, for contributing to climate change with your flagrant abuse of multi-emails. Besides, I’d already TOLD you I was renewing. (Huffy grump.) And don’t you DARE blame me by saying that if I’d renewed IMMEDIATELY you wouldn’t have sent all the reminder emails. Don’t you DARE make me out to be the baddie in this. I am being a loyal customer. You are merely an insurance company, which is only one step above estate agencies.

This morning, ANOTHER email arrives. Do I need help renewing? I can email back, request a callback, call the helpful helpline for help. Poor old dear, eh? Policy ‘Expert’, there are a few things you need to know:

1) the more someone bugs me to do something, the less I am likely to do it. Call it stubbornness, call it bloody minded, but it’s a genetic thing and I can’t change it

2) when I say I’ll do something, I’ll do it. End of.

3) the policy isn’t due for renewal for another 12 days

4) if you send me one more email or make one more unsolicited telephone call in the next twelve days, I shall NOT be responsible for my possibly, nay quite likely, red mist response

5) I found one policy which was about £5 cheaper. And yes, I am tempted to cancel yours and go with that one because yes, I AM that petty for a fiver.

6) I would strongly advise you NOT to send a Customer Satisfaction Survey following my renewal. It is likely I shall release upon it my passive aggressive sarcasm in all its glorious power. I may even consult with my brother as to the content. He is very good at these surveys. 

Finally, I would like to offer my training services in ‘How Not To Annoy People’. I charge £200 per hour. If you book now, I can hold this at last year’s prices. However, next week the rate will increase to £250. Inflation, and all that. You know how it is. 

Thank you kindly. All best regards and kind wishes,

Lady Malarkey


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.