Skip to main content

Sigh- Attic- aaaahhhhh

 

When she isn’t asleep, this little fluffy muppet enjoys playing endless games of ‘Push as many toys as possible under the sofa.’ This means at some point she will run out of toys, and sit staring at me until I fish them out for her. Or, if staring doesn’t work, she starts nibbling on the sofa covers which, thank goodness, are velvet and therefore resistant to puppy nibbling. But still, I don’t want her nibbling the sofas, so I scrabble around on the floor with my extendable feather duster and rescue all the toys so she can start the process all over again. Puppy 1 - Human 0.

Some particularly rigorous rounds of toy rescuing on Saturday morning meant that by Saturday afternoon I felt the first twinges of a bout of sciatica on the horizon, and by Sunday morning I was hobbling around like a 103 year old, and a tired one at that, because when sciatica strikes, one does not know how to get comfy in bed and one ends up spending all night trying to create the best arrangement of assorted pillows to achieve maximum comfort and minimum pain. 


Well, tough, I’m going to continue. Please feel free to leave the blog, though. Go and make a cup of tea, if you will. Or sort out your correspondence. I’ll see you at the end. 

I’ve been here before. What annoys me most is that if I do regular Pilates exercises, I don’t get sciatica. And when I haven’t had an attack for several months I think, ‘Marvellous!’ and regular Pilates exercise takes a back seat to more exciting things like reading a novel in one sitting. And then sciatica comes back because I’m lax with the Pilates. This is a classic example of the Stupidity of the Human Being.

Ah well, nothing like a back to square one moment, eh? So I’m dealing with the agony and reduced mobility by a) not chopping off my leg (despite the temptation) and instead b) administering unto myself a series of mini-Pilates exercises/other stretches during the day, along with walking around with a hot water bottle down my pants and making sure I keep moving, and when I do sit down, maintaining a wide-legged stance and a straight backed posture because sorting out sciatica is all about opening up your hips, darling!

Pain relief is a grey area, and we all know how I feel about grey. Paracetamol is ineffective. I can’t take anything ending in ‘-fen’ because I am allergic, so Neurofen, Ibuprofen etc etc are not an option. Which leaves the opiates. I’m fine with codeine, having taken it a couple of times previously in my life, but I’d rather not go down that road, if it’s all the same to you. So I am employing deep-breathing, visualisation, energy healing,  meditation and swearing. Oh, and drinking lots of water which is my cure all for everything. It’s a fair combination thus far. 

According to the NHS website, sciatica usually rights itself within four to six weeks. Four to six weeks?? I don’t have time to faff around waiting for that sort of timescale. Four to six days more like. But then maybe my experiences of sciatica are very mild. Sheesh, I bloomin’ well hope so. I can’t be doing with lack of sleep for another 4 weeks. I’ve just had a puppy, for chuff’s sake! Anyway, I am grateful I don’t have to go out to work and Andy has low expectations of what ends up on the dinner table when I am incapacitated. Although I did make a rather lovely bubble and squeak this evening, thank you very much! 

It’s been a lovely sunny day today. If one is going to hobble around a garden exercising one’s puppy whilst sciatica-ridden, then rather it is done in the sunshine than in the rain. Because sciatica and rain would be very grim. And that’s all I have to say on the subject. You can come back now.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Wait a minute… putting stiff under something heavy and unwieldy?? Haven’t this happened before!!? Bambino!!! Bambino use to push pens under the fridge, I’m sure!? Could he be the cause of this game? Surely not, that innocent little kitten!?
Interested in getting your perspective.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, it’s a theory because Bambino can no longer push pens under the fridge as the fridge is built in to the kitchen cabinets. He is scuppered! Perhaps he has suggested to Nell that I miss hoiking stuff out from places it shouldn’t be and it would bring me much joy if she took over the reins and stored all her toys under the sofas. He is wrong. And VERY naughty!
Anonymous said…
As someone who suffers agonising lower back pain when she over stretches (and endless nights pacing because lying down isn’t an option and sitting barely any better) I can sympathise. I thought I’d done it today, felt the ominous twinge, but luckily escaped this time. I hope. That will teach me to plant an eight metre hedge on a 45 degree slope all in one day.
Get well soon!
Mrs Will-She-Ever-Learn, Devon.
Anonymous said…
(Me who never learns of course. You are far too sensible!]
Denise said…
Dear Mrs Duck - seriously? The Extreme Sport of Hedge Planting on a Slope? I hope you were strapped into your precipitous bank climbing gear. And oh, the lower back pain where you don’t know what to do with yourself. Hideous, and I’m glad you escaped it this time. There are things I never learn, too. I’m not THAT sensible!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.