Skip to main content

Not Panettone. Sadly.

 Pantone. Not, as I thought and hoped, an enriched and sweet soft bread/cake delight from Italy (apparently that’s panettone) but a company-consultancy which deems itself to be the leading advisor in all matters colour. Who knew such an authority existed? Who cares?

Did you also know that the Colour of the Year is an IMPORTANT benchmark in the worlds of design, fashion and home decor? Did you? None of this, ‘Ooh, I fancy a bit of green in the hallway with perhaps a navy dado rail and a couple of entertaining pictures of bright orange goldfish to cheer up the day.’ None of this, ‘Let’s wear jeans and a plain jumper,’ and just grabbing the first one that comes to hand because it’s the middle of Winter, still dark at 7 a.m and you don’t want to disturb your husband/cat from their sleep by bashing on the light. Oh no, one must be guided by the wisdom of Pantone. One must consult. Heaven forfend you know your own mind and choose to live with colours you like, you wild and crazy loose cannon. 

Brace yourselves, then, because Colour of the Year 2023 is…

It might not be EXACTLY this shade because iPad does odd things to the actual colours in any photo or picture, but you get the gist. Also, I apologise if I’m bringing this news to you a tad too late and you spent the Easter holibobs turning your kitchen pale blue with cream highlights. If you have, my friend, you are waaaaaaay off-trend. 

‘Viva Magenta’ is the way to go. Sounds like the name of a drag queen to me, but we shan’t dwell because you REALLY don’t want to hear my opinions on THAT subject. (No, really, you don’t.) ‘Viva Magenta’, then, is ‘a cheerful and optimistic crimson red tone that presents a balance between warm and cool tones.’ Is it now? Who knew? What I do know is that my Mum would hate it. But, like me, she has never been much of a one for following fashion trends and good on her! She is an individual who knows her own mind about what she likes and what she doesn’t, and she isn’t afraid to tell you! She doesn’t like red. 

On a personal level, I am happy with Colour of the Year 2023. I wear this colour, I have home decor this colour. And it’s nice to know I’m hip ‘n’ trendy for at least one year in my life. That said, it wouldn’t bother me a single tootin’ hoot if Colour of the Year was Battleship Grey (as a random example…ha!) because nothing would persuade me to wear grey or repaint my internal walls grey. I would happily buck the fashion trend because that’s what I’ve always done. A dedicated follower of fashion I am not. 

Last year’s colour was ‘Very Peri’ - a sort of light purple/mauve. Again, not bad. Except when I think of ‘peri’ I think ‘peri-peri’ chicken, which isn’t purple/mauve and if it was I would seriously advise against eating it. 

Mother Nature, meanwhile, appears to be going for green this year, with splashes of all sorts of other colours. She’s the ultimate colour authority, I think. A designer who really knows what she’s talking about.    And who doesn’t charge an exorbitant consultancy fee. 





Comments

Anonymous said…
If I were to go all House and Garden then Viva Magenta might be considered a highlight colour. Or ‘pop’ if you will. It would always be paired with something a tad easier to live with. Take grey, for example. Now that would look lovely..
Mrs Duck.
(But then you knew that.)
Denise said…
Normally, Mrs Duck, I would defer to your greater wisdom in these matters, what with you being a considered interior designer and me being a slapper and dasher of paint. However, this is a particularly ‘grey’ area for my ‘grey’ matter to assimilate and…oh, I give up! Viva La Magenta!!!
Anonymous said…
I did laugh this morning when I opened my daily email from House and Garden.. and there it was. First image: Viva Magenta as a highlight colour. It was set against a rather pinkier grey than might have been my first choice but hey, as we all know there are many different shades of grey. Even one bordering on magenta. If you squint a bit.
Denise said…
No amount of squinting will appease me of grey, Mrs Duck!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.