Skip to main content

Marking the Coronation

‘Are you going to watch the Coronation?’ I said to Heather.
‘I wasn’t planning to,’ said she. ‘Are you?’

I can’t believe she had to ask this question of her Royalist mother.

‘Are you interested in watching the Coronation,’ said I to Andy.
‘When is it?’ said Himself.
‘The 6th,’ I said, rolling my eyes just a little bit.
‘What day of the week is that?’ continued he, in what seemed to be growing into an unnecessarily long conversation when a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ would have sufficed.
‘Saturday,’ I said.
‘No, I don’t think so,’ said he. 

That’ll be just me, then, comfortably perched on the sofa, eyes glued to all the pomp and pageantry, picnic basket at the ready packed with enticing nibbles. I might even bring the tea-making facilities into the living room so I don’t have to go into the kitchen every time I fancy a cuppa. Would it be too much to install the camping toilet in the corner of the living room, I wonder…?

With just over a week to go until the Coronations of King Charles and Queen Camilla, I am getting down to serious preparations and list making for my celebration day á la une. I don’t know if I’ll still be around (as it were) to see William and Catherine crowned when their time comes, so it might be my only shot at making Coronation  memories in this life. I think the English do this kind of event really well. All the costumes, traditions, colours, flowers, music - I love it all! I follow Charles and Camilla on Instagram and not only are they hard-working, they are an absolute hoot! 

As part of the ‘making memories’ thing, I wanted to buy a small souvenir. There are some lovely commemorative pieces to be had, some of them eye-wateringly expensive, some as cheap as chips. Some things are beautiful, some are quirky, some are, I’m sad to say, terrible bits of tat. I toyed with the usual ideas - Coronation mug, biscuit tin, teddy bear wearing a crown, tea towel. But they are all ‘stuff’ and I don’t really want to buy excess ‘stuff’ because it’ll just be an extra bit of ‘stuff’ that someone will have to deal with when I am dead. ‘What shall we do with the novelty Coronation toilet roll holder?’ You know, that kind of conversation. 

And then, when I was weeding the courtyard flower bed the other day, I thought, ‘You numpty! I bet there is a special Coronation rose!’ So I immediately had a Google and yes, there is! Planting a rose in the garden isn’t adding to unnecessary ‘stuff.’ And the King and Queen would very much approve, what with them being gardeners and all. 

I duly ordered my King Charles III Coronation Rose and it arrived today. Here it is:

Now, I know at the moment it looks like a stick in a pot. Because, basically, it is. But it will grow and grow beautifully, because roses do very well at Damson Cottage. For example, the half-dead specimen of the climbing rose, ‘Starlight Express’ I rescued from the half-dead section at a garden centre almost seven years ago is roof level now. Positively rampant, it is. And this current stick in a pot will soon make flowers, and these are the flowers it will make:

Pretty, eh? It is also scented. I don’t understand roses that have no scent. When you see a rose, it’s an automatic reaction to sniff it. And it is one of life’s great disappointments when a rose has no scent. Fact. 

I’ll transplant King Charles III into a pot for its first year and pop it in the courtyard, just to see how it goes. My little lonesome celebration has started…

 






Comments

Anonymous said…
That’s a beautiful rose.
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.