Skip to main content

Allelujah!

 


In an attempt to erase memories of the doom, gloom and hysterical shrieking of the film that was ‘The Whale’ Heather and I went to see ‘Allelujah!’ - an Alan Bennett/Heidi Thomas offering set in an old hospital that was threatened with closure because it was no longer financially viable. Before we saw the film, which was a matinee, we had a spot o’ lunch at a local independent bistro-type place, which was very nice and I couldn’t think why, when I’ve lived here for almost 7 years, I haven’t visited before. 

Now, the trailer for the film suggested it might be a comedy. However, it soon became clear that all the comedy moments had been strung together in order to make the trailer. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a bad film at all. I enjoyed it. I’d give it 7/10. But I’ve enjoyed other films more, for example, ‘Mamma Mia 2’, ‘Sing’ and ‘Yesterday’. I’m not going to add it to my DVD collection of ‘films to do the ironing to’ or ‘films to watch when I’m feeling a bit grim’ but I’m glad I saw it because it made me even more determined to keep as big a gap between myself and anything hospital-related for as long as possible, and that when my time comes I hope there is a massive snowstorm and I can crawl out into the garden and drift off to Heaven under an avalanche. 

It was certainly more thought-provoking than ‘The Whale’ and there was a twist to the plot which I spotted about halfway through, so wasn’t a massively surprising twist. What spoiled it for me was the last three minutes, which turned into a massive, soaked in sweat and spitefully angry diatribe about the state of the NHS and how marvellous and dedicated all the doctors and nurses are, despite being treated like sh*t. Ironic timing, really, given we are in the throes of NHS staff strikes and thousands of hospital appointments and operations are being cancelled or delayed leaving Joe and Josephine Public upset, worried and frustrated. When the original play was produced back in 2018,  there may have been a valid point to Bennett’s message. But the ensuing pandemic was used to thrust home the message of how grateful we should all be to the NHS. All it did for me was highlight a) how expectations of vocational careers have changed over the years and not necessarily for the better and b) when a government decides to confine healthy people to their homes and shut down the country, there is bound to be a backlash so why is everyone surprised that people have become angrier and more militant? But that’s my personal opinion. Other opinions are available. 

Andy took Nell to Trentham yesterday to meet up with some of his friends who were passing through on their way home from a holiday. I stayed home and wrote for three solid hours without interruption. It was delicious!! Here is Nell, perched on the wall around the fountain…


She’s looking particularly perky because she’d had her anal glands emptied a couple of hours previously. Full to the brim, they were. What a relief! Apologies if you are reading this whilst eating. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.