Skip to main content

The Life of I

 Went to see the National Theatre Live production of ‘The Life of Pi’ at the cinema last night. I must have read the book back in the day because it was on the ‘A’ level teaching syllabus, and I vaguely remember trudging through it in case any student decided they wanted to study it as part of their course. The fact I remember little about it says much about the trudging effect I felt. And then, as with a lot of novels, this one came to life in theatre production and I enjoyed a mesmerising, and timely thought-provoking evening in the company of Heather and a bag of chocolate raisins. I may re-read the novel.

I thought I was never going to blog again. Raising a puppy is a full time job. I’ve been so tired and the house has been turned upside down which has been difficult for a neat freak like me. There’s been a sense of Groundhog Day (or should that be Grounddog Day??) as we go through the same routines day in, day out, so Nell can learn to be part of our family. No time for any writing, even blogging. No time for reading. No time for the quiet things that give me happiness. But now Nell is sleeping through the night. She is 99% toilet trained. She has learnt so much. She is happy to entertain herself for longer periods during the day. The intensity of puppydom is beginning to ease. She is a lovely fluffy, floppy-eared, zoomie girl! 

There are two stories in’ The Life of Pi’ representing the same event. Pi tells his version of the traumatic events he faced in a way that maybe makes it easier to cope with horrors of what he lived through. He isn’t believed by the people he tells because his first story is deemed too far-fetched, too unrealistic, that he survived at sea for several months in the company of a tiger. And so he tells a second version to explain what happened to him which is more brutal and challenges the ethics of what it is to be human. In a very simplistic nutshell, in order to survive, it is okay for humans to eat animals, and animals to eat animals, but it is repellent for a human to eat another human. Do you do what it takes to survive because the instinct to live is the strongest instinct of all? Or do you accept the possibility of premature death with your morals and ethics intact? 

Isn’t this, to a lesser extent, how we live today? Presenting the ‘better’ story to others so we don’t have to face unpalatable truths? Look at social media - all the filters, all the picture representations of our perfect lives because it is sometimes too shameful to tell the truth because we worry about what others might think? Feeling a bit saggy and crinkly of face because yes, you are ageing and that’s the nature of life? Never mind - apply a skin smoothing filter! Having the perfect life lifts you above criticism and gossip. ‘Nothing wrong here! It’s all just super-duper! Nothing to see, nothing to judge. Nothing challenging or hurtful or wrong!’

The last eight months have been a challenge for me. When the tsunami of shite rolls in, it is relentless. When you blog, the temptation is to downplay the bad and present a sanitised version of the truth because you’re anxious about people judging your life. Quite often, you keep the crap to yourself and write of an amusing incident of trolley rage in a supermarket instead. 

The balance of my life, over the last 8 months, has tipped very firmly into the grim. 

For example, I didn’t ‘leave’ my job of my own choice  - I was bullied out of it, along with another member of staff. I doubt I shall be able to work for another company again, because all my trust in team work and robust management has gone. On reflection, I am cross with myself for putting up with what I did. Of course, I would have liked the decision to leave to be mine, but my hand was forced and when you’re shoved, you just hope the parachute will open in time to save you from crash landing. 

For example, my son and granddaughters have decided they don’t want me to be part of their lives anymore. This broke my heart. And there was the stigma, because aren’t all families supposed to be happy families? But over time and with support, I’ve come to realise that estrangements of this kind are more common than I realised. Different paths, different lives. That’s how it is sometimes. That’s how it is now. Family, it turns out, is a breakable bond. 

For example, another family disclosure has left me feeling very angry on behalf of the parties involved. I still need to get my head around that one. It makes me feel sick thinking about it. Luckily, I could share thoughts with my brother. He understands. 

Tootsie the Cockerel had to be euthanised last week because he was attacked by a pheasant. God, he was a mess, poor thing. Blind in one eye, I guess he didn’t see the pheasant approaching. I heard the attack. It was blood-curdling. Brought back the feelings of that day when I found the rabbits had been got by fox attack.

And last week also brought the unexpected news that a close and relatively young family member has been diagnosed with untreatable and rapid-progressing cancer. Last week was a particularly shit week. 

And the rain. Will it ever stop raining? 

I can’t keep blogging the sanitised, filtered version of my life. If I carry on blogging, then the crap will be there along with the good stuff. I suspect this may change the feel of the blog, and who knows if that will be a good or bad thing? I may decide the time has come to stop blogging altogether. Or start a new blog with different intentions. But what I have realised is that being able to read about the crap other people are going through in this imperfect and often vile society we live in has made me feel like I’m not on my own and my troubles are commonplace, and that’s just life. If what I write helps one other person feel the same, then the blog will have served a purpose. 

Meanwhile, the Spring flowers are out, the fruit blossoms are gorgeous. The world carries on with or without me. 

Here is Nell. Butter wouldn’t melt…







Comments

Anonymous said…
My view, for what it is worth is continue to write as you love it, and lots of folk read what you write, even if they don’t comment and enjoy reading your experiences. Be your authentic, amazing self. Life is cruel and extremely difficult, and painful at times. Sharing the tough times helps others realise that they aren’t alone with their struggles.
Denise said…
Thank you, Anonymous. Your comment is deeply appreciated. 🙂
Anonymous said…
You are not alone. Write because it makes you happy. Write about the bad stuff even if you don’t publish. Be truthful to yourself. I’m really sorry you have gone through all this. That’s a lot.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, as always, thank you for your kind words.
Anonymous said…
Oh Denise. So relieved (in a way) to hear from you, I did fear you had gone forever. Many a time I have loaded up Messenger and then backed off. Sometimes you just get a feeling don’t you? And I didn’t want you to think I was intruding. I’m so sorry it’s been such a shitty time. Writing always helps and, as KJ says, you don’t have to publish. But we’ll always be here for you if you do.
Mrs Duck x
Denise said…
Dear Mrs Duck, you’ll never be intruding if you contact me on Messenger. I enjoy our chats of putting the world to rights, so Message away! Thank you, as always, for your friendship and support. x

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.