Skip to main content

The Office

 On Wednesday, Andy said, ‘I’ll build your new desk for you tomorrow,’ and then off he went to work which left me thinking, ‘Botheration. That means I’ve got to paint a wall today.’ Painting a wall wasn’t on my list of ‘to do’ for Wednesday because the list was mostly full up already with a) sit on sofa and feel sorry for myself and b) watch ‘Mapp and Lucia’ to cheer myself up.

Therefore, I literally had to FORCE myself to dig out the pot of paint I bought months ago for the specific purpose of redecorating my office. And then find a brush that wasn’t rigid with age. And then get painting. 

Blimey, it was hard work. The wall in question was covered in greasy blu-tak marks, plus shallow pock marks where the blu-tak had lifted off the previous coat of paint. It took me a good three hours to apply the first coat because I was having to be very careful as I wasn’t bothering with all that ‘put down protective sheeting and use masking tape’ nonsense. I was having to factor in a lot of non-committal and weary sighing, too. And a prolonged break for a cuppa and biscuit when it all got too tedious. 

And then I had to apply a second coat in the afternoon because the first coat dried to an approximation of some shoddy piece of abstract art entitled ‘Patchy With a Hint of Slapdash.’ I know! Sheesh, it was like sitting through a double Maths lesson from the 1970s all over again. I just was NOT in the decorating mood. But the wall needed painting because it looked rough as a badger’s arse and I had notions of turning into something more featureful.

The laborious process did, however, give me time to think about how I wanted the room to look and feel. And I perked up a tad. Come Thursday morning I was channelling my inner Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen and running up and down stairs with mugs of coffee to help keep up the energy levels of Andy the Desk Builder. Thursday afternoon was spent moving around bits of furniture, books and other assorted very classy and chic pieces of tat. And this morning was spent bashing nails into walls, relocating plants and moving things around again. 

Here we are then! The much improved Unique Space of Denise (U.S.O.D). No doubt there will be further tweaks - I’ve got space on the walls for some more pictures - but for the moment, it’s the best space it has ever been!

A reading/meditation corner with my rocking chair which I’ve positioned just right so it doesn’t whack against the wall whilst a-rocking, because that wouldn’t be very meditative at all. Also, it would dent the new paintwork which would properly annoy me. 

The relocated cheese plant from downstairs because I reckon it is exactly the kind of plant that will entice a puppy called Nell into wrestling mode.

The new desk. I love how deep it is! The white surface space to the left has already been commandeered by Bambino Bobble Wilson. He mentioned he’d quite like it covered with a nice blanket, maybe? There are bookshelves underneath and I only cracked my head once whilst filling them up.

The keyboard, my fitness equipment shelf ( which gets EVER SO dusty!!) and my arts ‘n’ crafts kaboodle cupboard. And lastly, the view from the door…

Mission accomplished! 




Comments

Andy said…
Slightly surprised you didn't mention the holes I bashed in your new paintwork! Hopefully they've been covered by your lovely quilt xxxx
Denise said…
The teeny dents (which will easily and quickly be repaired with a dab of paint) were nothing compared with the enormous thanks I feel whenever you build something from flat pack for me. Xxxxx
Anonymous said…
That looks great! Well done both of you! I like the colour very much.
Enjoy your new space!

KJ

Denise said…
Thank you, KJ. Perhaps not planning too much and just rolling with the process is the way to go?

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.